[eccr] TOPIA: Canadian Journal of Cultural Studies

Mon May 26 19:48:24 GMT 2003

>Dear friends,
>
>I am pleased to announce that Wilfrid Laurier University Press is now
>publishing TOPIA: Canadian Journal of Cultural Studies, beginning with #9,
>Spring 2003. The new issue will be launched in Halifax on May 31st and
>available through WLUP, by subscription, or at your local bookstore
>(especially if you request it!) after that date.  This move will allow us
>to produce the journal more  regularly and to distribute it more
>effectively. We have new colleagues on our advisory and editorial boards,
>and new ideas and projects for the journal.  You can preview the issue and
>meet the editorial board at <http://www.yorku.ca/topia/>www.yorku.ca/topia/.
>
>Your subscriptions are crucial to our sustainability and our ability to
>produce an engaged, ongoing dialogue between readers, contributors and the
>journal itself. Last year we increased our subscribers' list by over 100%
>but we still need to expand our subscription base. For subscription forms
>and information please go to
><http://www.yorku.ca/topia/.>www.yorku.ca/topia/.  Since libraries, like
>academics, are pinching their pennies, the journal continues to be very
>reasonably priced.
>
>TOPIA is planning a theme issue on technology and culture for Spring 2004.
>A Call for Papers is posted on the TOPIA website.  Future theme issues in
>the works include Muslim identities; South Asian cultural studies;
>cultural studies and disability; and cultural  studies, gender and the
>environment.  With the formation of a new cultural studies association
>(see link in <http://www.yorku.ca/topia/>www.yorku.ca/topia/) and the
>creation of new cultural studies programs in universities across the
>country, this promises to be an interesting time for scholars in this
>area.  We receive an ever increasing number of manuscripts representing
>diverse disciplines, critical approaches and geographic regions. With
>these changes we are also considering future directions for our website,
>including the publication of abstracts, graduate student papers, a
>discussion forum, and audio-visual components for the journal. Those of
>you attending the Congress may wish to attend our workshop on critical
>issues in academic publishing, Canadian Association of Cultural Studies,
>May 31st at 4:00 pm.
>
>Barbara Godard continues her outstanding work as book review editor.  To
>offer reviews or notify her of current publications please contact her at
><mailto:(bgodard /at/ yorku.ca)>(bgodard /at/ yorku.ca).  For editorial inquiries or to
>discuss submissions please write
><mailto:(topia /at/ yorku.ca)>(topia /at/ yorku.ca).  We consider the ever-increasing
>flow of manuscripts and queries a gratifying confirmation of the journal's
>success in stimulating critical, interdisciplinary scholarship on culture.
>Hopefully the journal will continue to grow in its scope, its
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrije Universiteit Brussel - Free University Brussels
Studies on Media, Information & Telecommunication (SMIT)
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05
W1: http://smit.vub.ac.be/
W2: http://homepages.vub.ac.be/~ncarpent/