[eccr] Call for Papers on TEXTS FOR YOUNG ADULTS

Tue May 06 07:50:01 GMT 2003

>Call for Papers
>Lifestyle Narratives-22nd and 23rd November 2003
>Liverpool John Moores University UK
>
>Papers are invited for a strand on TEXTS FOR YOUNG ADULTS, to be co-
>ordinated by Dr. Mel Gibson & Dr. Kay Sambell
>
>The Young Adult (YA) texts are to be popular fictions in any medium (e.g.
>television, film, radio, print fiction, periodicals, comics/graphic
>novels, video games and animation) and from any period. They should
>address the following topics, which include, but are not limited to:
>
>-The presentation of so-called 'difficult' issues for the young (such as
>drug-taking, sex and sexuality, homelessness)
>
>-themes of despair, darkness, pessimism and dystopias for young readers
>
>-representations of the young adult within the text (discourses of
>adolescence and growing up)
>
>-censorship, controversy and texts for young adults
>
>-portrayals of moral consciousness, civic and political responsibility and
>moral dilemmas (issues such as war, terrorism, state control, nuclear and
>ecological threat)
>
>-themes of power and powerlessness in YA texts
>
>-different forms of writing (such as letters, diaries, first-person
>narration)
>
>-We will also welcome papers that examine cultural practices associated
>with young adult audiences and popular texts.
>
>Please send an abstract of 200-300 words by July 1st 2003 to Dr. Kay
>Sambell, Northumbria University, Childhood & Family Studies, Coach Lane
>campus (East), Coach Lane, Benton, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE7 7XA, UK or as
>an e-mail attachment to (kay.sambell /at/ northumbria.ac.uk)

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrije Universiteit Brussel - Free University Brussels
Studies on Media, Information & Telecommunication (SMIT)
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05
W1: http://smit.vub.ac.be/
W2: http://homepages.vub.ac.be/~ncarpent/