[eccr] Fwd: [creative-radio] FYI - McGill Media Conference

Fri Feb 07 15:04:27 GMT 2003

>------- Forwarded message follows -------
>The McGill Institute for the Study of Canada is organizing a major
>national conference
>on issues concerning Canada's media, to be held on February 13-15, 2003 in
>Montreal.
>
>As you will see from the information which appears below, we have lined up
>a great
>group of speakers, including some of the most prominent media figures and
>researchers in Canada. However, for the conference to be a true success we
>need to
>attract an equally distinguished group of participants.
>
>I hope that you will be able to attend and participate, and that you
>willfeel free to
>circulate this information to any associates who would benefit from
>attending. The
>easiest way to register is through the Institute's web site at
>www.misc-iecm.mcgill.ca or
>you can contact me directly ((lynne.darroch /at/ mcgill.ca) 514-398-2568. We
>arenearing
>capacity, so we urge you to register soon.
>
>This conference has the potential to be an exceptionally interesting event
>and I hope
>that you will be able to join us.
>
>Lynne Darroch
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>McGill Institute for the Study of Canada
>L'Institut d'études canadiennes de McGill
>3463, Peel, Montréal, Québec, H3A 1W7
>(514) 398-2658 fax: (514) 398-7336
>______
>WHO CONTROLS CANADA'S MEDIA?
>Conference: February 13 - 15, 2003
>Omni Mont-Royal Hotel, 1050 Sherbrooke Street West, Montreal
>Info: www.misc-iecm.mcgill.ca
>Preliminary Programme
>(Simultaneous interpretation will be provided during the plenary sessions)
>
>Thursday, February 13, 2003
>4:00 pm Registration opens
>6:00 pm Opening reception
>6:15 pm Welcome: Heather Munroe-Blum, Principal and Vice-Chancellor, McGill
>University
>Inaugural remarks: Diane Lemieux, Minister of Culture and Communications,
>Government of Quebec
>
>Friday, February 14, 2003
>8:00 am Registration opens
>8:45 am Introduction: Antonia Maioni, Director, McGill Institute for the
>Study of Canada
>9:00 am Keynote Address: Her Excellency the Right Honourable Adrienne
>Clarkson,
>Governor General of Canada
>
>9:30 am Plenary I: The Proprietors: Do Too Few Control Too Much?
>Has the concentration of media ownership given a few proprietors an
>unacceptable
>degree of control of Canadas media? If yes, what are the issues and possible
>ownership
>patterns and choices? Is lessening or removing foreign ownership restrictions
>desirable?
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrije Universiteit Brussel - Free University Brussels
Studies on Media, Information & Telecommunication (SMIT)
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.04
W1: http://www.vub.ac.be/SCOM/smit
W2: http://homepages.vub.ac.be/~ncarpent/