[eccr] Fwd: ICT, Social Enterprise and Sustainable Development Newsletter

Fri Jan 17 15:44:08 GMT 2003

>IN THIS NEWSLETTER
>

>Mass Mitec and HCLN Conferences and Archives -
>http://www.hcln.net/conferences.htm
>
>Bangalore dyd02 Interactive Broadcasting Workshop
>
>Call for participants for virtual conference/workshop on Water issues
>
>Call for support for urban youth interactive broadcasting project
>
>Global Knowledge Russia Moscow Conference
>
>Social Enterprise - Rhetoric and Reality
>
>PTC2003 Conference Honolulu - Broadband and Development
>
>Building the Information Commonwealth Conference in St Petersburg
>
>AMARC8 Community Radio Conference in Nepal
>
>World Summit on the Information Society Prepcom II Geneva
>
>Call for Papers for SCI03 Panel in Orlando July 2003
>
>Digital Earth Conference in Brno September 2003
>
>Call for Presenters for proposed virtual conference on e-Strategies for
>the Information Society
>

>Mass Mitec and HCLN Conferences and Archives -
>http://www.hcln.net/conferences.htm
>

>I have recently updated the HCLN web site to make the conference
>archives more easily accessible from a single page and will be adding
>archives from other conference presentations over the next few months
>

>Bangalore dyd02 Interactive Broadcasting Workshop
>

>In November/December last year, I ran an interactive broadcasting
>workshop at the Shrishti School of Art and Design in Bangalore in an
>event sponsored by MIT Media Lab Asia. This was my first time in India
>which I found to be a land full of enterprise and amazing contrasts. The
>workshop combined participants in Bangalore with presenters in Bangkok,
>the Netherlands and the UK. The virtual event used HP's virtual
>classroom technology with its new voice over IP technology which enabled
>remote participants to listen and speak entirely over the internet using
>a PC headset.
>

>Apart from a power cut during the workshop, the technology worked very
>well and the event brought together people from all over the globe to
>share their vision and experiences - see
>http://www.thinkcycle.org/dyd02/dyd02.htm
>

>Call for participants for virtual conference/workshop on Water issues
>

>Water and sustainable development was an important theme during the
>conference with a umber of papers presented on practices to protect and
>improve the availability and quality of water in developing countries.
>There was some interest in Bangalore in running a virtual
>workshop/conference to progress issues and share knowledge. If you would
>be interested in participating in such an event, contact me at
>(dwortley /at/ massmitec.co.uk)
>

>Call for support for urban youth interactive broadcasting project
>

>As a follow up to the workshop, the plenary sessions was broken into
>smaller working parties to propose action plans for specific projects.
>My workshop led to a proposal to organise and interactive broadcasting
>project based around urban youth in Asia and the UK. If possible, we
>would like to arrange an exchange of young people between the UK and
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrije Universiteit Brussel - Free University Brussels
Studies on Media, Information & Telecommunication (SMIT)
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.04
W1: http://www.vub.ac.be/SCOM/smit
W2: http://homepages.vub.ac.be/~ncarpent/