Archive for publications, March 2024

[Commlist] Special Issue Methods in Visual Politics and Protest published

Fri Mar 15 11:56:42 GMT 2024

Special Issue Methods in Visual Politics and Protest*

We are delighted to announce the publication of our Special Issue on "Methods in Visual Politics and Protest: mixed methods, data curation & anti-publics" in the Journal of Digital Social Research <https://www.jdsr.io/>, available here <https://www.jdsr.io/vol-6-no-1-2024>. This is the first of a double-special-issue on methods in visual politics and protest, with the second part to be published within the next few months. We are immensely proud to have such a great group of authors with diverse foci.

This first issue includes the following papers:

/(Intro to) Special Issue on Methods in Visual Politics and Protest: mixed methods, data curation & anti-publics/
By Suay Melisa Özkula, Tom Divon, Hadas Schlussel, & Danka Ninković Slavnić

/Analyzing Radical Visuals at Scale: How Far-Right Groups Mobilize on TikTok/

By Julian Hohner, Azade Kakavand, & Sophia Rothut

/The contingent macro: The ephemerality of memes as discursive devices/

By Giulia Giorgi & Ilir Rama

/Quali-quanti visual methods and political bots: A cross-platform study of pro- & anti-bolsobots/

By Janna Joceli Omena, Thais Lobo, Giulia Tucci, Elias Bitencourt, Emillie de Keulenaar, Francisco W. Kerche, Jason Chao, Marius Liedtke, Mengying Li, Maria Luiza Paschoal, & Ilya Lavrov

/Exploring feminisms on Instagram : Reflections on the challenges and possibilities of incorporating digital methods strategies in feminist social media research/

By Sofia Caldeira

/Networked masterplots : Music, pro-Russian sentiment, and participatory propaganda on TikTok/

By Marloes Geboers & Elena Pilipets