Archive for calls, August 2022

[Commlist] CfA: ECREA Preconference on Mediated Suffering

Wed Aug 31 14:51:19 GMT 2022

*ECREA Preconference on the Ethics of Mediated Suffering*

On behalf of the ECREA temporary working group for the Ethics of Mediated Suffering, we'd like to ask for abstract contributions for the group preconference, to be held virtually on 14 October, 2022.

Setting a theme for the preconference has been difficult. In part this is because of a litany of events that have overtaken a great deal of our personal and professional lives since the ECREA community last met. At the same time as the covid pandemic has begun to be pushed in the rhetorical - though by no means epidemiological - shadows, fighting in Ukraine has resurfaced old frames for a new(?) war. European sympathy for its east also draws attention once more to racial and geographic hierarchies of grievable life familiar to scholars of conflict in Yemen, Syria, Ethiopia, the Sudans, Mali and every other instance of suffering that lies in some discursive shadowland.

Deciding a theme was also hard, in part, because communities of scholars like ours have been fragmented over two years without the points of connection afforded by the sociality of meeting in one form or another. People lose touch with one other and shared projects and interests become harder to develop without the serendipity of connection.

In light of this, the theme that animates our 2022 preconference is Community repair and connection. If you are a scholar working on questions around mediated suffering or its normative dimensions - however broadly construed - we would like you to send us an abstract [~200 words to (r.j.stupart /at/ rug.nl) <mailto:(r.j.stupart /at/ rug.nl)> *23 September 2022*] on what currently occupies your thoughts. The preconference itself will be a virtual session in the run-up to the main conference in Aarhus, structured to give you an opportunity to reconnect with other scholars that have overlapping concerns and areas of focus. It is our hope that this preconference will afford attendees a chance to make connections once more, to discover shared interests and interesting projects between one another that can be further developed in Aarhus and beyond.

*In sum, we'd like you to tell us what you're up to, so that we can begin the work of reconnecting, repairing and thinking together this increasingly strange world we're 'returning' to.*

A copy of the CfA can be downloaded from https://bit.ly/3N7s4xB <https://bit.ly/3N7s4xB>