Archive for calls, April 2021

[Commlist] CFP: Wide Screen 9.1 2021

Thu Apr 22 16:29:02 GMT 2021

*Wide Screen journal invites papers for its 2021 General Issue (Issue 9 No. 1).*

For the last several years, we have worked primarily with guest editors who have edited special issues that have attracted exciting work on subjects such as the production of cinematic space, video games, and the studio system in Indian cinema. This year, we want to invite papers for a general issue that is _open to new, critical work in all areas of film and media studies_.

You can submit critical essays, book reviews, festival reports or interviews.

We are _also_ accepting abstracts for two dossiers that will be a part of this issue.

*Dossier 1: Film and Media in the Time of COVID*

The list of topics for the COVID dossier include but are not limited to:

-Media consumption during quarantine

-Binge watching

-Mediating boredom

-Reconfiguration of viewing spaces and practices

-Teaching film and media during quarantine

oSynchronous and asynchronous teaching

oAdapting teaching material and practices

oTurning on cameras

oTeaching blank screens

oMaking films accessible to students

oTech failures

oTech surprises

-Co-viewing remotely

-Mediated good-byes (Zoom and death)

-Conferencing during an epidemic

*Dossier 2: **Disability, Affect and Genre.* Such submissions could take the shape of:

-Critiques of disability tropes (supercrip, mercy killing, etc.)

-Significant narrative engagements with disabled characters

-Work by disabled directors, special effects artists, production teams

-Analyses of disabled landscapes, worlds, or alternate realities

-Associations between disability and otherness (aliens, monsters, mutants, etc.)

-Broader theoretical engagements between genre and disability studies

*We are working on an expedited timeline for this issue, and hope to have it out before the end of the year. *

*
*

*Email abstracts to (widescreenjournal /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(widescreenjournal /at/ gmail.com)> by May 15, 2021.*

*You will be notified of abstract acceptance status by May 31, 2021.*

*Full paper manuscripts due on July 31, 2021. *