Archive for calls, October 2020

[Commlist] Hybrid Conference (NYC+London): Cities, Tec, Society and Culture

Tue Oct 13 14:44:08 GMT 2020

In the context of COVID-19 social distancing and the use of technologies of work and communication have dominated recent debates about how we ‘should’ live in cities. Reflecting this, these two ‘city’ conferences open up their calls to reflections on the future of how we live in cities.

-
URBAN ASSEMBLAGE : THE CITY AS ARCHITECTURE, MEDIA, AI AND BIG DATA
Place: Virtual / London / Hatfield, UK. Dates: 28-30 June 2021
Organisers: University of Hertfordshire
Abstracts: 01 Dec, 2020 (Round 1)

Delegates can present virtually. The keynote will be held in London. Socially distanced conference presentations will take place in the University of Hertfordshire campus in Hatfield on the outskirts of London.
https://architecturemps.com/london-hatfield/

-
CITIES IN A CHANGING WORLD: QUESTIONS OF CULTURE, CLIMATE AND DESIGN

Place: Virtual / New York
Dates: 16-18, June 2021 Organisers: City Tech, CUNY Abstracts: 30 Nov 2020 (Round 1)

Delegates can present virtually. The socially distanced keynote and conference presentations will take place at City Tech, Brooklyn, New York.
https://architecturemps.com/new-york 2021/

-

FORMATS: In-person, pre-recorded presentations, Zoom, written papers.
Reflecting the online/in-person nature of these events all pre-recorded presentations will be permanently available on the AMPS Academic YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/AMPSresearch

-

DISCIPLINES: Sociology, Human Geography, Architecture, Planning, Urbanism, Technology, Design, Media
PUBLISHERS: Routledge, UCL Press

-

CALL SUMMARY – LONDON

Through ubiquitous computing, big data, A.I. and a plethora of related digital technologies, our cities have become sites for the production, processing and sharing of information. They are also places designed and built through data based digital architecture, planning and construction. The ‘digital city’ and ‘smart buildings’ being just two consequences. These data filled places are also sites for the creative imagination. The Matrix, Ex Machina, Her, Minority Report are just a few of the films that have built on the imaginary in recent times. However, there are concerns. GIS, Google Maps and Facebook all offer interconnected information on urban life. They are also conduits for the collation of personal data and its misuse. The assumption of digital access for all leads some to worry about issues of social exclusion. Sociologists highlight the dangers of the digital dependency of future generations. 3D printed buildings threaten job losses in the construction industry. The idea of parametric urbanism is an anathema to many for whom city is a place of interpersonal interaction. This conference seeks to explore these themes through a range of disciplinary perspectives: architecture, urban design, planning, art, digital design, communications, landscape design and more.
Submit and abstract: https://architecturemps.com/london-hatfield/

--

CALL SUMMARY – NEW YORK

The premise of this conference is that the city is a site of interconnected problems and solutions operative across disciplines, both today, and in the future. While issues of architectural design, urbanization, resilience, housing and healthy cities etc. all respond to their own unique and independent demands, they are also interrelated. As a result, innovations in one area are useful in another. This conference suggests that: i) nowhere is this interrelated dynamic more evident than in the issue of climate change and ii) that the host city, New York, offers a perfect example of the interconnected urban phenomena. On that basis, it seeks to instigate interdisciplinary debate on initiatives in specific fields with the objective of offering a fuller and broader understanding of our work and its potential impact inside and outside our own disciplinary boundaries.

Submit and abstract: https://architecturemps.com/new-york 2021/