Archive for calls, October 2020

[Commlist] CfP: Special issue on Cosmopolitan Media and Communication Studies in GMJ-DE

Mon Oct 12 17:12:31 GMT 2020

Global Media Journal - German Edition
Call for Papers for a Special Issue - July 2021

--> Call in pdf: http://globalmediajournal.de/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/CfP-GMJ-DE-Towards-Cosmopolitian-Media-Studies.pdf

*Towards Cosmopolitan Media and Communication Studies: Bringing diverse epistemic perspectives into the field*

Guest Editors:
Hanan Badr (Cairo University/Gulf University for Sciences and Technology) Sarah Anne Ganter (Simon Fraser University)

This Special Issue "Towards Cosmopolitan Media and Communication Studies" engages with the ongoing conversation on diversifying perspectives in the field. We believe that it is a normative imperative to shape our field towards more openness as 'research thrives in diversity, and not in the singular dominance of certain methods, theories, or approaches'. Epistemic consequences of dominant modes of knowledge production risk being viewed as the only legitimate knowledge claims. It can lead to the invisibility of entire research landscapes' linguistic terrains, prevalence of the English language as lingua franca and difficulties to establish a horizontal dialogue among communication scholars' communities. #CommunicationSoWhite highlighted exclusion of scholarly voices. In the spirit of a more open discipline, we choose using the concept 'academic cosmopolitanism' as a helpful way of thinking to creating more inclusive networks and a democratic and open approach to scholarly exchange. Instead of lamenting the situation, we consider this Special Issue a practical scholarly response to contribute to opening media and communication studies up. Academic cosmopolitanism combines intellectual and structural critique and aspires to create common spaces with room for differentiation. This Special Issue is a chance to practice 'mindful inclusiveness' towards under-represented geopolitical, methodological, and theoretical strands. We believe that critical scholarly knowledge production can be a transformative act from within academia.
Together with open-minded scholars this special issue aims at:
* opening media and communication studies up
* helping understand the roots of the dilemma
* promoting often under-represented voices
* helping unravel structural issues that foster imbalances in our field
* discussing the idea of academic cosmopolitanism - chances, obstacles and limits
* fostering epistemic transformation
* talking with rather than about different scholarly communities and realities

Research topics and questions for this special issue include, but are not limited to: * Criticism of mainstream theories and/or analytical frameworks from the perspective of the Global South * Exploration of tensions between globalization, academic cosmopolitanism, and local scholarship * Discussion of fragmentation versus homogenization tendencies in media and communication studies and its consequences * Auto-ethnographic experiences of marginalized scholars in media and communication studies and ways forward
* Suggestions for structural changes in the field of media and communication
* Critical examination and genealogy of de-westernization discourses in media and communication studies * Practices of openness at individual or institutional levels (examples of programs, work of networks, and funding opportunities that exemplify academic cosmopolitanism) * Examination of origins and challenges to and delimitations of academic cosmopolitanism (linguistic, structural, economic, socio-cultural, etc.) * Debating the relevance and disruptions of media and communication studies in their academic ecosystems
* Methods of academic cosmopolitanism

Submission Guidelines
Timetable: * Submission of abstracts: 15th November 2020
* Response to authors: 15th December 2020
* Deadline for full papers: 28th February 2021
* Publication: July 2021

Abstract: 200 words
Format: Articles (peer-reviewed); Essays and Commentaries; From the Field; Graduate Section

Submission of abstract to: Hanan Badr (mailto:(hanan.badr /at/ fu-berlin.de)), Sarah Anne Ganter (mailto:(sganter /at/ sfu.ca)), and GMJ-DE editor Katharina Noetzold (mailto:(gmj /at/ uni-erfurt.de)) Style guide: You will find it http://wp.areacore.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/gmj_styleguide-en_2015.pdf
Website: http://globalmediajournal.de/en/

Global Media Journal - German Edition is an open access journal dedicated to international and transcultural communication research listed in DOAJ. We do not charge any article processing fees.