Archive for calls, December 2019

[Commlist] Call for Papers: journal Gamevironments 2020

Sun Dec 08 09:48:07 GMT 2019

Call for Papers: journal GAMEVIRONMENTS Regular Issue 2020

================

To further explore the multilayered socio-cultural and political contexts of video games and gaming, the international peer-reviewed journal GAMEVIRONMENTS is calling for submissions for its Regular Issue 2020. https://www.gamevironments.uni-bremen.de/

DEADLINES
The journal follows a fixed timeline for the Regular Issue each year:
01.02. Full Chapter Submission
15.03. Review Results Returned
01.05. Revised Chapter Submission
summer Online-Publication

GAMEVIRONMENTS seeks to explore both established approaches and new frontiers of researching video games/gaming as related to religion, culture, and society. The journal encourages inter- and multidisciplinary works combining for example Cultural Studies, History, Religious studies, Theology, Ludology, and Psychology. All submitted articles will be reviewed on a double-blind peer-review basis.

PAPER TYPES
We include different categories of texts in the journal:

a) regular academic articles
Normally, articles should be between 5.000 words and 10.000 words in length. In general, a clear structure is of course helpful to understand your argumentation (introduction, discussing the relevance of your idea, theoretical frame, used method(s), case study and amount of new knowledge).

b) interviews
Next to academic articles we are interested in projects related to games, gamers, gaming and religion, culture, and society. For instance, if you have an interview with a game designer, a pedagogue working with games, etc., please feel free to share it in our journal!

c) research reports
Sometimes you may just want to give an impression of your current research, an introduction to a new project, or just have a longing for acclamation of about the 5% of successful third part funding that we get for this “weird stuff” – please feel free to do so:) In general, such research reports should be short descriptions between 3000 and 5000 words in length. They are not peer-reviewed, but we as journal editors will give some revisions if necessary.

d) book reviews
There was a flow in publications concerned with games and religion/culture in the last years, so it could be interesting to introduce and discuss some of them. If you are reading a new book which you think can be helpful for other researchers, feel free to propose a review. Reviews should be around 1000 words. Please note that in most cases, the journal will not be able to provide a free copy for reviews, but will try to source a free copy for you.

e) game reviews
Due to the fact that we are a games journal that wants to collect, systematize and further develop the various recent multidisciplinary approaches in the research area, we need to know our way around in our field, namely GAMES! So if you are playing a game which you think can be an interesting and promising object of investigation, please send us proposals for a game review. Reviews should be around 1000 words. Please note that in most cases, the journal will not be able to provide a free copy for reviews.

Video games are full of images, so it would be a good idea to include some of them, illustrating your argumentation. But, for any image, you need to hold the copyright. Please ensure that! Before publishing with the journal, you need to sign a copyright declaration which we provide. Please send all images as .jpg file(s) to us due to formatting issues.

Besides your contribution and images, we need keywords (up to 10), an abstract of up to 200 words, and a brief biographical paragraph (100 to 150 words) with your current institutional address and email address.

Please consult the gamevironments submission style sheet before submitting your paper, as well as the Help Desk for some general principles. There is no article processing charge. If you are ready, please send your contribution as an RTF file to the managing editor (kienzl /at/ uni-bremen.de).

https://www.gamevironments.uni-bremen.de/