Archive for calls, March 2019

[Commlist] Call for papers: NordMedia 2019 - PhD Student Preconference

Fri Mar 08 15:00:46 GMT 2019

   Call for papers:
   NordMedia 2019
   PhD Student Preconference    Aug 19-20

The NordMedia organizing committee, FSMK (The Swedish Association for Media and Communication Research) and NORDICOM cordially invite PhD students to submit paper proposals for the NordMedia 2019 PhD student preconference. The preconference will run from Monday, Aug 19 (half-day, starting with a joint lunch) to Aug 20 (full day, ending with a joint dinner) and be focused on PhD students presenting their work in a friendly, informal setting, getting feedback both from senior scholars and from their peers. As part of the event, we will also run an article publication workshop (with advice on publishing articles in international peer-reviewed scholarly journals) with academic journal editors and other senior academics. A detailed schedule will be released later. We are happy to announce that keynote speaker Dr Patrick McCurdy will participate in the feedback/mentoring sessions, as will
NORDICOM Director and Nordicom Review editor Jonas Ohlsson.

Please send your abstract directly to conference organizer Professor Henrik Örnebring ((henrik.ornebring /at/ kau.se)) no later than Friday, April 12 2019. The abstract should be a maximum of 1,000 words (in English or a Scandinavian language) and include a paragraph explaining how the text/chapter fits in with your overall PhD thesis project. If accepted, full papers/chapters will be due Friday, July 26. We mainly envisage that PhD students will present part of their PhD thesis but we are also open to other work unrelated to the PhD (e.g. articles, book chapters). Please also include in the submission the name(s) of one or two Nordic scholars from whom you would like comments. We cannot at all guarantee that the people you suggest will be able to comment but it will still be helpful to us to have your suggestions. The abstract should also (of course) include your name, contact details and institutional affiliation, along with a note on where you are in the PhD process (e.g. 1st year, 2nd year, etc.).

The event will be capped at 20 PhD student participants so a selection process may be necessary. Please make sure you include all relevant information indicated in your abstract submission.

The event will be free of charge for all participating PhD students. We will however have to charge a 1000 SEK “no-show” fee if you register and then do not attend without giving proper notice of your absence. We extend a warm welcome to all participants! Looking forward to seeing you all in Malmö – Henrik Örnebring, for the organizing committee. If you have questions, please contact us at (henrik.ornebring /at/ kau.se) !

 https://www.delegia.com/app/netattm/attendee/page/81875