Archive for calls, August 2017

[ecrea] Climate Change Network Call for Papers MeCCSA 2018

Wed Aug 30 06:47:27 GMT 2017

For the upcoming MeCCSA 2018 conference (London South Bank University, 10-12 January 2018, http://www.meccsa2018.org), the MeCCSA Climate Change Network is inviting the submission of abstracts for themed panels on the following two topics:

'Creative climate activism – New mediations on climate change/human-animal engagements'

Creative and visual methods of communication have long been used in climate and environmental activism to engage and agitate. Yet what opportunities and challenges do new visual media technologies such as VR offer for more immersive and embodied forms of engaging? How are such technologies and other creative practices helping reconfigure human-animal and climate change engagement/activism in more affective and effective ways? This panel invites papers that explore a range of creative media, visual and educational practices, to explore questions of agency, activism, subjectivity and affect in the context of new and creative mediations with climate change and the Anthropocene. 'Climate change dissent in the post-truth era – Implications for agency and engagement'

This panel will explore questions about the evolving nature of climate change denial – particularly in the ‘post-truth’ and ‘post-expert’ arenas. We invite papers that explore media iterations and cultural performances of climate change denial, and how these intersect with institutional power and discourses of ‘elitism’ vs. ‘the ordinary’, social and economic exclusion, and audience affect. We invite papers that appraise the success of certain ‘counter-scientific narratives’ of the environment, and also papers that explore how climate dissent and denial are being (creatively) contested.

Submission details
Each panel will be comprised of 3-4 papers. Abstracts should be 15-200 words long. Deadline for submission is Monday 11 September, sent to Julie Doyle ((j.doyle /at/ brighton.ac.uk)). On the basis of the abstracts we receive, we will co-ordinate panels and let authors know by 15 September if you have been included in the panel submission. This will allow time for us to submit the panels for the MeCCSA deadline on 18 September. For those abstracts not included in the final panel submissions, this means that you will still be able to submit your abstract to the general conference call for papers.