Archive for calls, March 2017

[ecrea] Seminar on Comparative and Collaborative Research into Branded Content & Branded Content Research Conference

Sat Mar 25 12:13:43 GMT 2017

*Branded Content Research Network Events Notices and Call for Papers*

The Branded Content Research Network is an academic network project funded by the UK Arts and Humanities Research Council. The network seeks to bring together academic researchers, industry and civil society interests to explore the practices and implications of branded content, native advertising and the convergence of media and marketing communications.We are organising two events in association with the ECREA Advertising Research Group, a temporary working group with the European Communication Research and Education Association.

*Event 1: Seminar on Comparative and Collaborative Research into Branded Content*

Thursday 15 June 2017, 10am-5pm

University of East London

Stratford, London

The purpose of this seminar is to explore comparative research into branded content and discuss the development of collaborative research agendas and approaches. The seminar addresses the study of branded content, content marketing, native advertising and associated forms of integration of media and marketing communications.

The June seminar is designed to promote, share and discuss research into branded content carried out by international researchers in single-country or multi-country studies. For discussion, we wish to explore insights from these studies regarding research design, methods, approaches, findings and implications and suggestions for future research. We want to explore the state of the field, research resources and capacity-building and discuss agendas and resources for collaborative research.

We invite contributions on topics including the organisation, production, reception and regulation of branded content. We also invite contributions that address theoretical, methodological, institutional, resource and capacity issues, academic relationships with industry and other stakeholders, collaboration and networking relevant to the advancement of international and comparative research and collaborative research into branded content.

Deadline for abstracts: 3 April 2017

Please send abstracts (250 words max) to Prof. Jonathan Hardy (j.hardy /at/ uel.ac.uk) <mailto:(j.hardy /at/ uel.ac.uk)>, Principal Investigator Branded Content Network and Prof. Patricia Núñez (Chair, ECREA Advertising TRG) –(pnunezgo /at/ ucm.es) <mailto:(pnunezgo /at/ ucm.es)>

*Event 2: Branded Content Research Conference 7-8 November 2017*

*
*

The seminar in June is part of a programme of events culminating in our Branded Content Research Network conference on 7-8 November at the University of East London. The conference will include meetings and events on the afternoon and evening of 7 November and a one-day conference on 8 November. Keynote speakers at the conference include Dr Anne Cronin, Lancaster University, whose books include /Advertising, Commercial Spaces and the Urban, /and /Advertising Myths; /Dr Mara Einstein of New York University, author of /Black Ops Advertising; /Professor Joseph Turow, Annenberg School for Communication, University of Pennsylvania, author of /The Daily You, Breaking Up America, Media Today /and /The Aisles Have Eyes/.

For the conference, we will organise a series of themed panel sessions and invite papers that contribute to the following themes.

  * Investigating branded content practices and practitioners
  * Mapping the media-marketing ecology of actors, automation and
    processes across marketers, agencies and communications
  * Regulating branded content, native advertising and
    editorial/advertising integration
  * Media-marketing convergence and higher education: teaching, learning
    and institutional arrangements
  * Building capacity for research and collaboration

The Network aims to investigate the changing relationships between media and marketing and to promote research, collaboration and dialogue across a very wide range of interests and perspectives. We are particularly interested in exploring media-marketing research at the intersection of the humanities and social sciences. Branded content is both an economic and a cultural phenomenon that requires cross-disciplinary resources and new approaches in analysis. Assessing the impact and policy implications of these practices requires a better understanding of the cultural forms, working arrangements and practices that are developing amongst producers and users and the attitudes of various practitioners, publics and stakeholders. Studying these phenomena requires political economic, legal and policy analysis as well as historical, cultural and social enquiry. We invite abstract submissions on the themes above. We also welcome suggestions for topics that the conference should incorporate.

Deadline for abstracts: 30 May 2017
Please send abstracts (250 words max) to Prof. Jonathan Hardy (j.hardy /at/ uel.ac.uk) <mailto:(j.hardy /at/ uel.ac.uk)>, Principal Investigator Branded Content Network and Prof. Patricia Núñez (Chair, ECREA Advertising TRG) –(pnunezgo /at/ ucm.es) <mailto:(pnunezgo /at/ ucm.es)>

Additional guidance on abstract submissions

The 15 June event will be a good opportunity to present individual research or papers that contribute to exploring the seminar topics. For the November conference, papers will be arranged around themed panels to address conference topics. For doctoral students and early-career researchers, the better opportunity to present your work for discussion will be the June event. We will endeavour to provide opportunities too at the conference but these may be more limited depending on the nature of panel sessions and plenary sessions. We will confirm invitations to present at the June event by 28 April.

Both the June seminar and November conference are free and open to interested researchers who wish to join us. However, please note that we do not have funds to assist with travel costs.

*About the Branded Content Research Network*

The academic network is funded and based in the UK but one of our main aims is to contribute to building capacity for European-wide and beyond that international research networking and so we are delighted to work in partnership with the ECREA Advertising TWG.We invite you to join us. To subscribe to our mailing list please send an (listserv /at/ jiscmail.ac.uk) <mailto:(listserv /at/ jiscmail.ac.uk)>Subject: BLANK Message: SUBSCRIBE BRANDEDCONTENTRESEARCHNETWORK Firstname Lastname

You can also subscribe via our website. For more details please visit www.brandedcontentresearchnetwork.org <http://www.brandedcontentresearchnetwork.org/>

Prof. Jonathan Hardy, University of East London; Principal Investigator (j.hardy /at/ uel.ac.uk) <mailto:(j.hardy /at/ uel.ac.uk)>

Prof. Iain MacRury, Bournemouth University; Co-Investigator (imacrury /at/ bournemouth.ac.uk) <mailto:(imacrury /at/ bournemouth.ac.uk)>__

*About the Advertising Research TWG*

We are delighted to have the opportunity to work and share the CFP with the Branded Content Research Network. Advertising encompasses more than traditional ways of communication and new formats are emerging in marketing communication strategies. The establishment of the Advertising Research Temporary Working Group is informed by the belief that advertising is a particularly salient area of inquiry today. Our group, sets out to strengthen theoretical reasoning, critical reflection and empirical exploration in advertising research as an inherent part of communication and media studies. We also collaborate with different TWG and sections in Ecrea and other international associations.

Prof. Patricia Núñez, Complutense University, Spain. Chair of ARTWG (pnunezgo /at/ ucm.es) <mailto:(pnunezgo /at/ ucm.es)>

Prof. Guido Zurstiegen, university of Tuebingen, (Germany_guido.zurstiege /at/ uni-tuebingen.de) <mailto:(guido.zurstiege /at/ uni-tuebingen.de)>_