Archive for calls, February 2017

[ecrea] Call for papers - one day visibility conference

Wed Feb 08 23:04:07 GMT 2017

*Call for papers - one day visibility conference*

Askance?Oblique Conference 2017
Sheffield Hallam University, UK
31st March 2017
Visibility within practice-based research and artistic practice is an emergent discourse. It is central to the shaping of political, ethical and socio-economic concerns, in culture and within the subcultures it informs. Visibility within practice-based research can expose and question visual hierarchies, authority, authorship, the politics of technology, balances of power and representation or prompt dissent. Our understanding of visibility provides a broad contemporary framework founded in the histories of post-colonialism and feminism. We will examine the many dialogues which incorporate themes of visibility within art, visual practice and participatory practice to prompt a discussion between multiple disciplines. Artwork that incorporates documentation expands the making process into one that could involve broader considerations, such as gaining access, subject matter, permissions, negotiating authorship, representation and use of technology or technique. This dynamic thematic will enable new perspectives on the conditions of practice based research.
We welcome responses to questions which might consider:
- Who or what is made visible, and what remains invisible?
- How do perceptions of visibility affect power dynamics?
- What is hidden within practice-based artistic research?
- How are the politics of representation examined through visibility within arts practice? - How does visibility broaden considerations of context and approach within practice-based research?

The visibility conference offers an opportunity for presenting and reflecting upon these thematics and we invite proposals for presentations and papers. We especially encourage the participation of current PhD practice based researchers. All proposals should include your name, presentation or paper title and no more than 300 words outlining your approach. Please submit images and / or links to work if relevant to your proposal. We are aiming to select proposals which work together to animate a broad, rich and divergent discussion which explores the outlined themes. All the presentations / papers will be 15-20 minutes, followed by a group of smaller 30 minute discursive workshops offering a focussed discussion on evolving thematics.

In the evening we would like to invite you to a Post Truth film screening and drinks to launch the new studio space as part of the C3RI PhD Programme at S1 Artspace; Sheffield.
Deadline for submissions:
20th Feb 2017 by midnight, with feedback and acknowledgement of acceptance by 27th Feb 2017.

Please send your abstracts as PDF or word documents to: (invisibilityconference /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(invisibilityconference /at/ gmail.com)>

Conference Date: Friday 31st March 2017

More information available at: https://visibilityconference.carbonmade.com