Archive for calls, February 2017

[ecrea] CFP for British Cinema in the 1960s

Wed Feb 01 23:23:25 GMT 2017

Call for Papers:

**

*British Cinema in the 1960s: Histories and Legacies*

6 - 7 September 2017

BFI Southbank, London

*Guest speakers include: Richard Lester, Sandy Lieberson, David Puttnam, Rita Tushingham***

This two-day conference, organised as part of the AHRC-funded project ‘Transformation and Tradition in British Cinema of the 1960s: Industry, Creativity, and National Branding’ run by the Universities of York and East Anglia, provides a space for exploring one of the most dynamic decades of British cinema history.

It brings together academic researchers and creative practitioners with personal experience of the period in order to focus on how we construct histories of the film culture of the period (what sources we use, how we interpret them, what the people who lived and worked through the decade recall) and how might we understand the legacies of the period’s cinema, not only in terms of influence on later filmmaking practice but also in broader film appreciation and fandom.

Possible areas of interest include, _but are not limited to_:

·Historicising the 1960s and its cinema

·Archives, sources, methods

·Key sixties concepts and the cinema: individualism, freedom, rebellion, permissiveness, entrepreneurialism

·1960s British cinema and tradition/history/heritage

·Youthquake in British cinema? Issues of youth and age in the 1960s

·Identity politics in 1960s British cinema: class/gender/ethnicity/sexuality

·Losing an Empire, finding a role: engaging with the imperial in 1960s British films

·1960s British cinema and Europe: production, exhibition and reception

·International connections: ‘Hollywood England’ and beyond

·Film in an intermedial context: 1960s British cinema related to other areas of cultural production (television, popular music, literature, theatre, fashion, art, advertising, photography)

·Legacies of 1960s British cinema: influences, remakes, fandoms

Please send 200 word proposals for papers with short biogs to (laura.mayne /at/ york.ac.uk) <mailto:(laura.mayne /at/ york.ac.uk)> by *1 March 2017.*