Archive for calls, March 2014

[ecrea] Call for papers - Culture - Media - Theology

Wed Mar 26 18:05:43 GMT 2014

The internet quarterly magazine “Kultura – Media – Teologia” (“Culture – Media –Theology”) is a reviewed academic periodical published online by the Theology Faculty of UKSW in Warsaw, its editors include staff members of the Faculty’s Institute of Media Education and Journalism. The quarterly publishes articles in the area of media, cultural and theology.

Special issue – Autumn 2014
‘Challenges of the New Media’

‘Challenges of the New Media’ will constitute the main subject of the forthcoming special issue of “Culture – Media – Theology”. It will be devoted to reflection on the ethical, legal and practical aspects of creating and using the new media, especially the Internet. It will aim to answer numerous questions triggered by the dynamic development of that particular branch of the media industry. According to ‘Privacy and the individual image in the sphere of the social media’, a report prepared by the Polish Internet Studies, [an industry research group] as many as 99,3% internet users avail themselves of social media. The vast majority reveal their personal data when doing so.

In this special issue of our quarterly, we would like to address the phenomenon of network communities, their origin, development, relations in the virtual world and the issue of identity. Can we define these new forms of social coexistence as communities? Whom are we in these virtual relationships? Are we ourselves, or do we rather create for ourselves an image? What personal information, and to what extent, do we reveal during virtual communication on the Internet? We would also consider the problem of pathology in network communities, from legal controversies (such as the legal protection of one’s privacy in network communication) to Internet addiction.

The main themes of the issue:
1. Social media - origins and expected dimensions of development. Technology and culture 2.0
2. Network communities - authenticity of the individual and relationships
3. Return to reality? Network communities vs. real communities
4. Legal protection of social media users
5. Privacy and personal image in network communities
6. Prevention and therapy of Internet abuse (cybersex, FAD syndrome, Facebook addiction).

We are also open for other articles in the area of knowledge about media, culture and theology. We can take articles written in the following languages: English, Italian, Germany, Slovak.
Please, contact us using Polish or English.

Please follow the manuscript guide at http://kmt.uksw.edu.pl/authors-text
However, the APA, Citavi and ISO 690 styles are also accepted.
The articles which would be sent, will be reviewed using the rule of double-blind review. Reviewers are experts in a given field and are from different backgrounds to the author. Once the text is positively reviewed, the submitted text is accepted for publishing. The text is refused if both our reviews come back negative. When one review is positive and the second negative, the editorial board that can accept the text despite the review or ask the author to rewrite the text.

Completed manuscripts should be submitted by June, 15th 2014.
Expected publication: October 2014

Please, sent the manuscript as a .rtf, .doc, .docx or .odt files to (kmt.uksw /at/ gmail.com) Illustrations should be attached as a separate files.