Archive for calls, March 2014

[ecrea] Understanding Fandom: Interviews and Free Sample Chapter

Wed Mar 12 09:06:06 GMT 2014

Scholars working on celebrity or fandom may be interested in following:

1. An interview between Henry Jenkins and Mark Duffett, author of Understanding Fandom. It includes a link to a free sample chapter of the book:

http://pop-music-research.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/why-do-we-need-to-understand-fans.html

Praise for Understanding Fandom:

“I am using it as one of the core texts on my own graduate seminar this term on fandom, participatory culture, and web 2.0… I learned a lot from reading his account...” - Professor Henry Jenkins, University of Southern California

“Understanding Fandom sets out the key debates that have helped shape fan studies. But it does more than that… What if established theoretical frameworks have missed elements of fandom? What if fandom can be analysed in new ways? … Understanding Fandom thus forms an active part of, and crystalizes out of, an emerging set of scholarly concerns.” - Professor Matt Hills, Aberystwyth University

“Understanding Fandom offers an impressive overview of unparalleled scope in examining the many traditions, concepts and methodologies in the study of fans. It is an indispensable text for students and scholars alike.” - Dr Cornel Sandvoss, University of Surrey

2. An interview with Ben Myers, author of Richard - a controversial novel exploring the myth, phenomenon and missing last days of rock musician Richey Edwards:

http://pop-music-research.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/an-interview-with-richard-author-ben.html

thanks,
Mark

Dr Mark Duffett
Senior Lecturer in Media and Cultural Studies
University of Chester
Room WMP118
Padgate Campus
Warrington