Archive for calls, March 2014

[ecrea] Fwd: CfP | Seachange | 2014 | Practice(s)

Tue Mar 11 00:55:32 GMT 2014

2014 | PRACTICE(S)

seachangejournal.ca

“Practice” is a conceptual event that questions the correlating social, political and philosophical definitions and subjective experiences of professionalism across a wide range of disciplinary, cultural, and geographical contexts. For its fifth issue, Seachange is seeking abstracts for short position pieces that discuss practice(s) within a host of fields, from the hard sciences to the fine arts, and that address this fundamental question: how and how often do we do what we do?

Contributions can come from a variety of disciplines including, but not limited to, anthropology, art history, communication studies, law, medicine, musicology, philosophy, political science, psychology and psychoanalysis, and the study of languages and literatures. They might address issues as diverse as the tension between paid and unpaid labour, volunteering, the ethics of “the good practice,” iteration as a creative and social phenomenon, perfectionism, the trend towards extreme specialization, and broader socio-political projects that derive from and work through action-oriented approaches to change and intervention.

In addition, within the 2014 issue, we will also feature a special section on how practice relates to work, precarity, and the casualization of labour. Rather than primarily analyzing work within the rubrics of political economy or labour conflict, however, for this section we are seeking contributions that focus on the following questions: if precarity is undermining life-long employment and the former security found in the professions, how do underemployed or unemployed youths and adults define their vocation today? If there is a growing disjuncture between paid work and chosen vocation, how are non-remunerated activities defended, legitimated, and defined? In terms of legitimacy, what constitutes the validity of professionalism?

Abstracts of 300 words describing contributions in English or French, which will range from 1,500-3,000 words, should be sent to (caroline.bem /at/ mail.mcgill.ca) by March 31, 2014. Contributors will be notified by April 21, 2014, and final contributions will be due by June 30, 2014. Citation guidelines can be found at seachangejournal.ca.