Archive for calls, February 2014

[ecrea] Spaces of Television CFP

Tue Feb 04 09:45:46 GMT 2014

Call for Papers:  Special issue of Critical Studies in Television
‘Spaces of Television: Production, Site and Style’

We invite proposals for articles for a special issue of the journal Critical Studies in Television, devoted to the theme of ‘Spaces of Television: Production, Site and Style’ to be published in Autumn 2015. The journal issue emerges from a research project of the same name, investigating television fiction produced in the UK from 1955-94 and analysing how the material spaces of production (in TV studios and on location) conditioned the aesthetic forms of programmes. We are interested in how fictional spaces represented on the screen across a range of drama during this period negotiated the opportunities and constraints of studio and exterior space, film and video technologies, and live-ness and recording.

While we particularly welcome papers that specifically address British drama during this period, we will also consider comparative perspectives concerning dramas from other television industries, import/export, transnational exchange, co-productions and spatially-themed studies of earlier or later dramas.

Possible topics include but are not limited to:

Analysis of the dramatic conventions of television genres as demonstrated through the use of space and mise-en-scene.

Case studies of television dramatists, actors, directors, producers, designers, or other production staff focusing on mise-en-scene and issues of space.

The relationship between television dramatic space and performance, and the social and cultural meanings of performance in different spatial and aesthetic contexts.

The spatial significance of particular production techniques and/or special effects in television drama.

The social and cultural meanings of the spaces depicted in television drama: e.g. heritage spaces, the urban and the rural, regional, national and foreign spaces, fantasy spaces.

The institutional and aesthetic relationships between the spaces of television production (studio, location) and dramas’ social, political and cultural meanings.

Histories and historiographies of television drama, particularly relating to production strategies and institutional contexts.

Proposals for articles of 5,000-6,000 words, in the form of an abstract of approximately 400-500 words should be submitted to Dr Leah Panos ((l.d.panos /at/ reading.ac.uk)) by 31 March 2014.

We welcome proposals from both established scholars and early career researchers including postgraduate students.

‘Spaces of Television’ is an AHRC-funded research project led by the University of Reading in collaboration with the University of Leicester and the University of South Wales.

Further details of the project can be found at:
http://www.reading.ac.uk/ftt/research/Spacesoftelevision.aspx