Archive for calls, April 2008

[ecrea] CFP: Interrogating Trauma Conference

Sun Apr 27 08:58:36 GMT 2008

>CALL FOR PAPERS
>
>INTERROGATING TRAUMA
>Arts & Media Responses to Collective Suffering
>
>International Conference
>
>Perth, Western Australia
>2-4 December 2008
>
>in association with the
>National Academy of Screen & Sound, Murdoch University
>and the Faculty of Media, Society and Culture, Curtin University
>
>web site: http://nass.murdoch.edu.au/nass_conf_fest_trauma.htm
><https://email.curtin.edu.au/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://nass.murdoch.ed
>u.au/nass_conf_fest_trauma.htm>
>
>Keynote Speakers:
>
>Felicity Collins
>Humanities & Social Sciences,
>La Trobe University
>
>Suvendrini Perera
>Media, Society and Culture,
>Curtin University
>
>Susannah Radstone
>Social Sciences, Media and Cultural Studies,
>University of East London
>
>Janet Walker
>Film and Media Studies,
>University of California, Santa Barbara
>

>     The humanities have had a long-standing interest in the social and
>cultural dimensions of human suffering caused by catastrophic events.
>Contributions made in this area by traditional disciplines such as
>philosophy, aesthetics, literature, and history have been complemented by the
>health and human sciences throughout the 20th century. Since the 1980s the
>degree of attention given by scholars in the humanities to experiences of and
>and terror has increased at a pace described by some as "explosive". As a
>result, several interrelated, inter-disciplinary fields, such as trauma,
>memory, and genocide studies, have emerged to constitute an encompassing,
>rapidly-evolving, and hyper-productive network of studies. In the midst of
>such developments, cultural, media and film studies, as well as the creative
>arts, have also paid increasing attention to the literary, visual and
>performative engagement with human suffering and resilience.
>
>     As we quickly approach the second decade of the 21st century the
>historical events that constitute the ultimate referent of so much
>theoretical and creative endeavour have unfortunately not waned. It is for
>the same reason more crucial than ever to open spaces for the considered
>reflection about the potentials and limitations of myriad, sometimes
>competing, methodological approaches and modes of creative engagement with
>human pain and trauma. Interrogating Trauma seeks to provide such a space.
>Keynote speakers, panels and presenters, as well as the accompanying
>exhibition and performance of art and media works, will consider
>methodologies, orthodoxies, and openings in order to articulate strategies
>for imagining the 'beyond' of trauma through arts and media responses.
>
>     PANEL and Individual PAPER proposals are invited with an abstract of no
>more than 250 words, plus a one-paragraph biography of the author/s. Inter-
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/