Archive for calls, April 2008

[ecrea] CFP - The Mainstream and its Discontents

Wed Apr 02 08:54:28 GMT 2008

>*** Apologies for cross-posting***
>
>STUCK IN THE MIDDLE
>The Mainstream and its Discontents
>28-30 November 2008
>
>Annual Conference of IASPM-ANZ
>International Association for the Study of Popular Music
>Australia-New Zealand branch
>
>Presented by the Centre for Public Culture and Ideas (CPCI)
>Griffith University
>Brisbane, Australia
>
>Whilst â¬Scutting edge⬝ and â¬Salternative⬝
>music has played a central role
>in popular music studies, these terms depend upon being juxtaposed with
>a real or imagined â¬Smiddle⬝ or â¬Smainstream.⬝ The mainstream has often
>played the negative role in this relationship, against which the
>positive, resistant qualities of music subcultures have been measured.
>However, as music scenes and genres continue to fragment and blur, it is
>increasingly difficult to distinguish between a normative mainstream and
>a smaller number of resistant subcultures. Ultimately, todayâ¬"s
>mainstream music reflects a complex set of negotiations between
>individuals, industry, production and consumption.
>We invite contributions that address the topic of the mainstream from
>any perspective. The organising committee also gladly welcomes any
>general papers in the study of popular music.
>
>Topics may include:
>Redefining the mainstream
>Mainstream music and everyday life
>Global and local mainstreams
>Mainstream music in educational contexts
>Music, the mainstream and sporting cultures
>Mainstreams, margins and minorities
>Conflicts and controversies in the mainstream
>Mainstream music across generations
>Mainstream entertainment for children
>Gender and sexuality in mainstream music
>Mainstream music in the media
>
>Abstract Submission
>Abstracts should be submitted as an email attachment (Word document,
>12pt Times New Roman font) to Gavin Carfoot
>(<mailto:(g.carfoot /at/ griffith.edu.au)>(g.carfoot /at/ griffith.edu.au)).
>The deadline for receipt of abstract is 30 June 2007.
>Please use your surname as the document title (for example,
>â¬SCarfoot.doc⬝). The abstracts will be reviewed by an IASPM-ANZ committee
>and successful applicants advised by email. Please include the following
>details (in this order):
>1. Name of author(s) (as you would like it to appear in the programme)
>2. Institution or affiliation (where applicable)
>3. Contact phone numbers
>4. Email address
>5. Title of paper
>6. Abstract (200-300 words)
>7. Consideration for 2007 IASPM-ANZ postgraduate prize? (Yes/No)
>
>Registration
>Registration details will be available on the conference website,
><<http://www.iaspm.org.au/2008/conf/>http://www.iaspm.org.au/2008/conf/>.
>Please send registration forms to:
>Jill Jones, Events Coordinator
>Centre for Public Culture and Ideas
>Nathan Campus
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
----------------------------
NEW BOOKS OUT
Understanding Alternative Media
by Olga Bailey, Bart Cammaerts, Nico Carpentier
(December 2007)
http://mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0335222102.html
Participation and Media Production. Critical Reflections on Content Creation.
Edited by Nico Carpentier and Benjamin De Cleen
(January 2008)
<http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm>http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm

ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/