Archive for calls, March 2008

[ecrea] CFP: Conference on Technovisuality and Cultural Reenchantment

Mon Mar 17 21:38:08 GMT 2008

>Call for Papers
>

>Conference on Technovisuality and Cultural Reenchantment
>
>21-22 November 2008
>
>Co-Organized by Chinese University of Hong Kong
>& Hong Kong Shue Yan University
>
>http://www.hksyu.edu/english/2008Techno/home.html
>
>Daily life is increasingly mediated by technology and remorseless
>visual stimuli in everyday technovisual forms have now become the very
>incarnation of what it means to be human.  While technovisuality
>points to the visual as object and site of social interaction, it is
>also very much about embodiment and how we transform information and
>knowledge (infoledge) into material and aesthetic forms.  Bergson
>thinks of the body itself as an image among other images, hence the
>theory of perception as affect (Hansen).  Such a process of technical
>and biological symbiosis entails cultural reenchantment, which takes
>place where nature and nurture overlap, where becomings through
>circuits of intensity occur between humans and machines, humans and
>nonhumans.
>
>Think of cinematography, digital images in all media, video games,
>scientific data visualization, virtual environments - all could be
>summed up as manifestations of the Figural (Rodowick).  Together they
>encapsulate an epoch of hybridity in a wide range of interactive
>experiences, in which technovisuality programs more and more
>intelligence into the very fabric of a new ecology of wonders.  Images
>are now thought to be able to think and to have desires themselves
>(Mitchell).
>
>Within the spaces of visuality, cultural re-enchantment also points to
>eco-consciousness, warning us of our ecological violence, requiring
>the re-enchantment of nature by recovering a sense of the sacred as a
>means of survival.  Here, Latour's network, Prigogine's affirmation of
>the fabulous in the nature of swerving matter, the quantum enigma in
>new physics, might be drawn upon in leading us towards what Laszlo
>calls the re-enchantment of the cosmos.
>
>There is nothing unnatural about technology; and like cyberpunk,
>technology is certainly us.  Hence technology does not have to limit
>itself to those "technological devices" that Heidegger is wary of.  In
>a sense, visualization has always been technological since the
>beginning of time as a kind of primordial mechanism which has,
>according to Heidegger, not too much to do with "the technological."
>Here oriental philosophy provides an alternative perspective of how
>cultural reenchantment can be tied to technovision in a broad sense.
>
>Suggested themes:
>
>1.     Cinematography's magical world, and the camera's eye.
>2.     Technovisuality and enchantment in mediated visualization.
>3.     The history and development of digital images and the way
>"nuanced" relationship is established between human and nonhuman.
>4.     Technovisuality, science and philosophy
>5.     Imagescape as a new ecology
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
----------------------------
NEW BOOKS OUT
Understanding Alternative Media
by Olga Bailey, Bart Cammaerts, Nico Carpentier
(December 2007)
http://mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0335222102.html
Participation and Media Production. Critical Reflections on Content Creation.
Edited by Nico Carpentier and Benjamin De Cleen
(January 2008)
<http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm>http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm

ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/