Archive for calls, March 2008

[ecrea] CFP - Cultural Production and Experience: Strategies, Design, and Everyday Life

Thu Mar 13 15:43:56 GMT 2008

>Dear all,
>
>below is a CFP for a conference that may be of interest to some of you.
>
>Cheers,
>Fabian Holt
>
>***
>Fabian Holt, Ph.D.
>Associate Professor
>Performance Design
>University of Roskilde
>Universitetsvej 1, 44.2
>4000 Roskilde
><http://www.ruc.dk/~fabianh>www.ruc.dk/~fabianh
>***
>

>* Please circulate widely *
>
>RESEARCH CONFERENCE - CALL FOR PAPERS
>
>Cultural Production and Experience: Strategies, Design, and Everyday Life
>

>Time:November 13-14, 2008
>Proposal deadline:May 1, 2008
>Main contact person:Fabian Holt
>(<mailto:(fabianh /at/ ruc.dk)>(fabianh /at/ ruc.dk)), please
>write Roskilde conference in the subject line
>Secretary:Hanne Tofteng (<mailto:(hannet /at/ ruc.dk)>(hannet /at/ ruc.dk))
>Venue:Roskilde (more details will be announced soon)
>Web
>site:<http://web.mac.com/fabsound/Site/Conf.html>http://web.mac.com/fabsound/Site/Conf.html
>Organizers:Center for Experience Research
>Roskilde University, Denmark
>Keynote speakers:Angela McRobbie (Goldsmiths College)
>David Hesmondhalgh (University of Leeds)
>Gerhard Schulze (University of Bamberg)
>Kevin Hetherington (Open University)
>
>The overall theme of this conference is the
>changing role of professional entertainment in
>contemporary, post-industrial society. Concepts
>such as the culture society, creative
>industries, and experience economy all signal
>an increase in the volume of production and
>consumption of cultural commodities. This
>development has implications for producers, consumers, and society at large.
>
>The shifting relations between producers and
>consumers, between production and experience,
>generate two key questions: The first is how new
>strategies and forms of cultural production
>relate to changing forms of consumption and
>experience. This concerns the embodiment of
>cultural production in social life. The second
>question is how cultural commodities, live or
>mediated, are being consumed and how they affect
>consumers on both macro- and micro-levels of social life.
>
>The conference organizers value new approaches
>and original perspectives grounded in empirical
>research. We welcome work in all areas of the
>creative and cultural industries, including
>tourism, media, publishing, music, theatre,
>film, event, national and amusement parks, and
>ICT (e.g. computer games and mobile phone
>entertainment). Presenters are also encouraged
>to explore connections across industries and
>genres in various aspects of production and
>consumption. This could include issues of convergence and cross-branding.
>
>A major aspect of the theme is the
>organizational and institutional contexts of
>production. It is pertinent to recognize the
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
----------------------------
NEW BOOKS OUT
Understanding Alternative Media
by Olga Bailey, Bart Cammaerts, Nico Carpentier
(December 2007)
http://mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0335222102.html
Participation and Media Production. Critical Reflections on Content Creation.
Edited by Nico Carpentier and Benjamin De Cleen
(January 2008)
<http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm>http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm

ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/