Archive for calls, March 2008

[ecrea] Conference announcement: "Recoded: Landscapes and Politics of New Media" April 25-6 Aberdeen, Scotland

Mon Mar 03 21:16:59 GMT 2008

>The Centre for Modern Thought at the University
>of Aberdeen is holding a conference
>on  Recoded: Landscapes and Politics of New
>Media  (April 25-26, 2008), featuring many of
>the international leaders in the field: Wendy
>Hui Kyong Chun (Brown);  Sande Cohen
>(CalArts);  Alexander Galloway (NYU);  Ken
>Goldberg (Berkeley);  Mark Hansen
>(Chicago);  Thomas Keenan (Bard);  Tim Lenoir
>(Duke);  Tom Levin (Princeton); Laura Marks
>(Simon Fraser);  Colin Milburn (Davis); Trevor
>Paglen (Berkeley); Kriss Ravetto-Biagioli,
>(Aberdeen);  Brian Rotman (OSU);  Julia Scher
>(Kunsthochschule für Medien, Köln); Eugene
>Thacker (Georgia Tech); Sha-Xin Wei (Concordia);
>Siegfried Zielinski (Universität der Künste,
>Berlin) and commentaries by Mario Biagioli
>(Aberdeen and Harvard), Arnold Davidson
>(Chicago); Christopher Fynsk (Aberdeen), Peter
>Galison (Harvard), and Alberto Moreiras (Aberdeen and SUNY Buffalo).
>
>The conference program also features the UK
>premiere of Peter Galison and Rob Moss Secrecy
>(2007)  a 2007 Sundance Film Festival Selection
>(<http://www.secrecyfilm.com>www.secrecyfilm.com).
>
>The "New Media" is perhaps the most discussed
>field in the arts and the humanities today,
>reflecting a desire to engage with and
>understand the way in which digital technologies
>have revolutionized the practice of everyday
>life by becoming an integral part of how we
>work, communicate, understand ourselves, make
>art as well as war.  The extraordinary attention
>received by the new media does not, however,
>come with a consensus about the interpretive
>frameworks most appropriate for these materials,
>or about the boundaries of the field and its
>connections to other discipline and practices.
>
>This conference aims to promote a serious
>discussion on the place of the new media in
>modern thought, culture, and the university by
>presenting a broad set of perspectives from
>academic disciplines and art practices, and by
>bringing together key new media theorists and
>scholars together with theoretically
>sophisticated practitioners from other
>fields.  New fruitful conceptualizations of the
>new media and its futures are, we believe, most
>likely to emerge from such conversations.
>
>Committed to bypassing the traps set by
>dichotomies between technophilia and
>technophobia, power and resistance, art and
>science, technology and the human, and other
>such binaries, the conference wants to explore
>how new media is posing problems to how we think
>about States, institutions, subjects and materiality itself.
>Registration information, full program,
>abstracts, and bios can be found at:  www.abdn.ac.uk/modernthought /recoded/
>
>Kriss Ravetto-Biagioli
>Mario Biagioli
>Chris Fynsk

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
----------------------------
NEW BOOKS OUT
Understanding Alternative Media
by Olga Bailey, Bart Cammaerts, Nico Carpentier
(December 2007)
http://mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0335222102.html
Participation and Media Production. Critical Reflections on Content Creation.
Edited by Nico Carpentier and Benjamin De Cleen
(January 2008)
<http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm>http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm

ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/