Archive for calls, August 2004

[eccr] Call for papers: mobile histories

Sun Aug 01 21:01:27 GMT 2004

>Please forward all enquiries to the guest editors (listed in the cfp
>below) rather than to the sender.
>
>Mobile Histories
>A special issue of Southern Review
>
>Call for papers
>
>Southern Review is publishing a special issue on histories of mobile
>communication in July 2005.
>
>We are calling for papers which aim to provide longer-term perspectives on
>the emergence of mobile communications, or which describe and explain the
>cultural, economic and political dimensions of mobile communications
>through specific historical contexts.
>
>We encourage proposals for papers concerned with:
>
>& The emergence of mobile telephony as a new medium;
>& The development of legal, regulatory, ethical systems and software for
>managing mobile content and applications;
>& The evolving relations between mobile telephony and other media,
>including fixed line telephony, television, and the Internet;
>& Comparative studies of mobile communications in different cultural and
>social contexts;
>& Longer-term social, political and cultural consequences of mobile telephony
>& History of mobile telephony design, software and system architecture
>

>Further information
>1. The deadline for paper proposals will be 31 October 2004. Please email
>a brief outline of your paper to either (jthomas /at/ swin.edu.au) or
>(g.goggin /at/ uq.edu.au)
>2. The deadline for submitted articles will be 15 April 2005. Please email
>your paper to either (jthomas /at/ swin.edu.au) or (g.goggin /at/ uq.edu.au)
>3. The maximum length of articles will be 6,000 words. Please follow the
>style guide at http://www.informit.com.au/library
>
>About Southern Review
>Southern Review is an interdisciplinary journal focusing on the
>connections between communication and politics. Since its inception in
>1963, Southern Review has been interested in communication and cultural
>technologies - their histories, producers, policies and texts. It welcomes
>articles that connect these areas either to arenas of legislative or
>parliamentary politics or to broader negotiations of power.
>
>Sample articles from the current volume of Southern Review can be viewed
>at http://www.informit.com.au/library
>Gerard Goggin and Julian Thomas
>
>--

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info