[Commlist] CFP Harvard University's The East Asian “Amateur” Media Practices Conference

Thu Sep 26 13:24:31 GMT 2024

We are writing to share a call for papers for the East Asian "Amateur" Media Practice Conference held in May 2025, Harvard University.

---------------------
Location
Massachusetts, United States
Subject Fields
Popular Culture Studies, East Asian History / Studies, Japanese History / Studies, Korean History / Studies, Chinese History / Studies

*Call for Papers: The East Asian “Amateur” Media Practices Conference*

May 10/11, 2025

Harvard University

/Keynote Sessions Featuring:/

Susan Aasman, University of Groningen

Jamie Zhao, City University of Hong Kong

We invite proposals to the East Asian “Amateur” Media Practices conference at Harvard University. The conference aims to provide a venue for presenting research on historical and contemporary amateur media practices in East Asia and for discussing the current state and possible futures of this rapidly expanding field of inquiry.

Broadly, we hope to collectively address questions such as the following:

  * How do differing media situations require different theorization of
    “amateur” practices - or make other terms and frameworks more
    productive?

  * As “amateur” media practices take place across media forms / genres
    / channels, which methodologies are useful to map them and their
    significance - and which specific questions are they geared to address?

  * Do amateur media practices - past and present - present useful
    different models of economy, sociality, politics, or topography
    (i.e. planetary, global, transnational etc.) that can be made
    productive today?

  * What kind of larger historical trajectories come into view once one
    takes more than one amateur media form into account? Does the
    significance of amateur media practice change with their
    relationship to specific media forms and expressions?

  * Not only recent amateur practices are networked well beyond national
    contexts; how do amateur media practices and their networks help us
    track an interaction with imaginaries of nation, or of geopolitics?

  * How do we think beyond what is the focus of much work on amateur
    media practices: production? How would that history look different
    if we additionally focused on distribution?

We invite proposals on all topics related to “amateur” media practices in East Asia and are open to a broad span of topics and approaches. Proposals from graduate students are also very welcome. Proposals should be up to 200 words in length and include a list of three keywords and include a few sentences on how the paper contributes to an emergent field of “amateur” media practices across media forms.

We plan to cover two nights of accommodation for all conference participants.

* Please send proposals in pdf form by October 31, 2025 to:*

*(ea.amateurmediaconference /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(ea.amateurmediaconference /at/ gmail.com)>*

The conference is organized by Alexander Zahlten and conference assistant Ami Tanahashi. It is made possible with the kind support of the Reischauer Institute of Japanese Studies and the Korea Institute.

Contact Information:

Alexander Zahlten

Department of East Asian Languages and Civilizations

Harvard University

Contact Email: (ea.amateurmediaconference /at/ gmail.com)