[Commlist] Call for Papers: Post45 Graduate Symposium

Tue Sep 17 21:35:46 GMT 2024

    Call for Papers:

    The departments of American Culture, Communication and Media,
    Digital Studies, and English Language and Literature at the
    University of Michigan in Ann Arbor are thrilled to host the 10th
    annual Post45 Graduate Symposium on March 14-15, 2025.

    The Post45 Graduate Symposium seeks graduate-level works-in-progress
    related to post-1945 media, arts, literature, digital platforms,
    politics, and culture. We welcome submissions that expand our
    conception of objects and meaning-making post-1945 or place them in
    comparative, transnational, or hemispheric frames. We especially
    welcome contributions that foreground the importance of race,
    gender, and sexuality to post-45 studies. Further, we invite (though
    do not require) engagements with our symposium roundtable topic of
    “Public(s)”: the make-up of interpretive communities; who or what
    constitutes “a” or “the” public; the state of the commons and/or
    undercommons; oppositional audiences and readings; conversations
    that move beyond and across traditional disciplinary bounds; public
    scholarship and public humanities; collective identities and
    collective action, etc.

    Works-in-progress will only be limited by a length of 15
    double-spaced pages; besides this, we welcome a wide range of
    submissions in both traditional and non-traditional forms, including
    conference papers, articles, dissertation chapter drafts, and/or
    creative-critical writing projects. Works-in-progress will be
    pre-circulated two weeks in advance of the conference date. This
    allows participants to consider submissions carefully and to
    generate thoughtful critical feedback—a benefit often absent in
    traditional conference formats. Each individual paper will also
    receive feedback from a faculty respondent and 30 minutes of
    discussion amongst all symposium participants. No payment from the
    authors will be required. In addition to the paper workshops, the
    symposium will feature a keynote address and a roundtable discussion
    on the topic “What Is the Public(s)?”

    If participants cannot secure adequate funding from their
    institutions, some financial support for travel will be allocated
    based on need. While this support will not fully fund all expenses
    for each participant, we plan to do everything we can to make the
    symposium accessible for those traveling nationally and
    internationally to Ann Arbor.

    Post45 is a collective of scholars working on literature and culture
    since 1945. The group was founded in 2006 and has met annually since
    to discuss diverse new work in the field. The Post45 Graduate
    Symposium meets annually to discuss works in progress. Now in its
    tenth year, the Grad Symposium has convened in the past at Concordia
    University and McGill University, University of Washington,
    Northwestern University, University of California Irvine, Rutgers
    University, Princeton University, Yale University, University of
    California Berkeley and Stanford University, and University of North
    Carolina at Chapel Hill.

    Submissions:

    Those interested should submit 250- to 300-word abstracts through
    the following Google Form

<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd-P1kYewe40BokfWDXMDfH7QGRygT-qwG6elEan1ppiG4XUg/viewform?usp=sf_link> (https://forms.gle/SrkMreRSQj5gkC4w9
    <https://forms.gle/SrkMreRSQj5gkC4w9>) by October 21. If you have
    any questions, please contact (grad /at/ post45.org) <mailto:(grad /at/ post45.org)>.

    Note: the form will collect your name, academic affiliation, paper
    title, and abstract. To facilitate the anonymized submission
    process, we ask that you fully blind your paper abstract before
    submission. Your abstract should not include your name or your
    institution’s name (including in the name of your uploaded file).