[Commlist] cfp Forgotten Journalists

Sat Jun 22 04:30:45 GMT 2024

*Forgotten Journalists: Lived experiences and professional identities in the past* Ghent on 6-7 June 2025 (https://lapij.ulb.ac.be/cfp-forgotten-journalists/ <https://lapij.ulb.ac.be/cfp-forgotten-journalists/>).

The deadline for submissions is 30 August 2024.____

By focusing on lived experiences and professional identities from a historical and decentered perspective, we want to make visible those whose work has been underestimated, or whose journalistic (or partly journalistic) careers have been neglected.

We propose two different ways to decenter the history of journalism :

Finding forgotten or invisible journalists
We invite contributors to present cases of journalists who have been forgotten or have remained invisible in the studies about their field of expertise and form of journalism.

Rediscovering the forgotten journalistic activities of public figures
Many authors, politicians, activists and other public figures pursued prolific careers as journalists. The journalistic activities in their careers are often forgotten. The journalistic careers of plenty of prominent individuals remain to be re-evaluated. Studying these figures as journalists may both result in a more complete understanding of their careers and help to re-evaluate the role of journalism as an outlet of political and social activism.

Both established and early career scholars are encouraged to apply. We intend to provide travel grants for two non-European, early career researchers. If you want to be considered for a travel grant, please state so when submitting your abstract.

Please send your abstract for a 20 min presentation with a short biography to (christoph.despiegeleer /at/ liberas.eu) <mailto:(christoph.despiegeleer /at/ liberas.eu)> before 30 August 2024.