Archive for April 2024

[Commlist] Call for Chapter Abstracts: Liberate Me Plenty – The Queer and Now of Digital Gaming

Fri Apr 12 17:19:39 GMT 2024

After completing a round of successful chapter submissions and reviews, MultiPlay Network is re-opening the CFP for its queer gaming book /Liberate Me Plenty: The Queer and Now of Digital Gaming/.

LMP is an anthology series developed through the works of early-career academics that aims to shine a spotlight on novel developments in the intersectional field of queer videogame research.  Queerness, both as an identity and as a form of action, constantly challenges the boundaries set on how we understand our social world.  This is particularly evident in research based around queerness and videogames where boundaries between right and wrong forms of play, player and game, and even the human and non-human, are challenged through the intersection of physical and digital space.

The anthology series will look to highlight developing work in this field of research, asking us to consider our own embodiment from the moment we even think about picking up a controller.We are currently accepting abstract submissions for chapters that compliment those that have already been accepted.  This includes, but is not limited to, works that focus on:

  * queer and emerging identities in games;
  * non-normative gameplay;
  * queer(ing) agency and the player;
  * asexual/agender representations and modes of play; and,
  * qualitative studies of play.

Queerness is a fluid concept that continuously looks to push back against definition.  Liberate Me Plenty is an anthology of thoughts around queerness and digital gaming that, through altering moments of consensus, tension and contradiction, will contribute to ideas around what it means to play games queerly.

If you wish to contribute, please send a *300 word abstract and a 100 word bio to (networkmultiplay /at/ gmail.com)* with the subject line *“LMP Abstract Submission.”*
*Deadline for submissions:* Monday 27th May 2024