Archive for March 2024

[Commlist] CFP - Content Providers | TikTok: Work, Time, and Play in a Platform Economy

Fri Mar 29 09:38:43 GMT 2024

*_Content Providers | TikTok: Work, Time, and Play in a Platform Economy_*

*Content Providers* are looking for contributions to an interdisciplinary conference at the University of Edinburgh in June 2024 that will analyse emerging digital visual culture(s) and aesthetics through critical platform analyses. We are particularly interested in analyses of TikTok, as it is a platform where many dynamic digital subcultures proliferate and circulate.

Over the last decade, the internet has been subsumed by a complex of privately owned online services that call themselves ‘platforms’ (Terranova). This has radically altered the coordinates of the internet, from a peer-to-peer communications infrastructure to an extractive arguably ‘neo-feudal’ system (Dean), where tech giants appear not dissimilar to Marx’s description of feudal lords: as ‘manager and master of the process of production and of the entire process of social life’. Terranova has described this system as the Corporate Platform Complex (CPC), a collection of platform monopolies which have deeply changed, and ultimately centralised, the so-called “internet”.

In light of these recent shifts, we are interested in rethinking a number of questions about digital culture that were initially explored in the early 2010s, with the rise of Web 2.0. We would like to invite contributors to explore contemporary understandings of the construction of the self and collective identity, digital labour and cultural production, political discourse online, digital affect, and more. We are particularly interested in contributions that analyse how these issues are reflected in the visual cultures and aesthetic experiences of the CPC, including, and in particular, TikTok.

*Content Providers* is a research collaboration between researchers Ian Rothwell (University of Edinburgh), Idil Galip (University of Amsterdam), Ingrid Luquet-Gad (University of Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne).

*Submission Procedure*

Please submit a proposal which includes the following: title, 300 word abstract, and a short 100 word biography for each author.

Proposals should be submitted to (contentproviders2024 /at/ gmail.com). The submission deadline is April 31, 2024.