Archive for January 2024

[Commlist] cfp Ink and Motion #2 International Conference on Animation and Comics

Tue Jan 30 21:49:45 GMT 2024

*Ink and Motion #2 International Conference on Animation and Comics - 22 and 23 March 2024. School of the Arts - Universidade Católica Portuguesa, Porto*

The second edition of the conference will take place in the spring of 2024, when Portugal will be commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Carnation Revolution. We would like to take this opportunity and reflect on the topic of revolution in its broader sense. On the one hand, it evokes ideas of a breakdown in continuity, a challenge to the established order where a re-structuring of the systems of power occurs. Revolution is also a term that can be applied in media studies when thinking about the transformations that have been taking place in the moving-images ecosystem since the end of the 1990s, when we started seeing new and exciting connections between the previously separated media. Finally, if we look at the etymology of the term – revolution holds in itself the idea of motion, a process of revolving around an axis. Hannah Arendt, in her work On Revolution (1963), wrote that our modern concept of the term is “inextricably bound up with the notion that the course of history suddenly begins anew, that an entirely new story, a story never known or told before, is about to unfold” (Arendt, 1963: 28). We hope that Ink and Motion #2 Re[volution] will foster research and discussion on such stories and we invite you to think of Animation, Comics and the intermedial connections that these establish with other forms of art as means of storytelling that can be explored through the referred aspects – socio-political, historical and technological.

More info can be found at the School of the Arts page:

https://artes.porto.ucp.pt/en/art-center/conferences/ink-and-motion-2-international-conference-animation-and-comics/call-applications <https://artes.porto.ucp.pt/en/art-center/conferences/ink-and-motion-2-international-conference-animation-and-comics/call-applications>

*Call for abstracts: 19 February 2024. *

*Subjects: *

Politics and Visual Memory: Representing Revolution(s) through Animation and Comics:

•          Animation & Memory

•          Animation and the Archive

•          Animation and Disruption

•          The revolutionary properties of animated images

•          Political animation

•          The Carnation Revolution in Animation and Comics

•          Political caricatures

Animation as a means of Emancipation : Identitarian, decolonial and ecological narratives

•          Post-memory

•          Collective memory and nostalgia in animation

•          World Colonial/Decolonialist discourses in Animation/Decolonization through the practice of Animation as research

•          Indigenous Animation

•          Feminist/Queer Animation

•          Subversion and resistance in Authorial Animation: How to regain agency over narratives of power

•          Punk aesthetics and revolution (e.g. hopepunk, etc)

•          Ecology and Animation

•          Animation and the Anthropocene/ Animating the non-human perspective/ Posthumanism

Animation and the "In-Between": New Technological Paradigms and intersections:

•          Technological turns

•          Living the future with AI (threats, perspectives and the revolution it can bring)

•          Intermediality: from comics to animation, animation and video games, etc.

•          Experimental Animation, hybridization and New Media

Other topics are welcome.

*PAPER PROPOSALS *

Proposals should be submited, no later than the 19th February 2024, here:

https://easychair.org/cfp/IM24 <https://easychair.org/cfp/IM24>

The should include a paper title, extended abstract in English (700 words), name, e-mail address, institutional affiliation and a brief bio (max. 100 words) mentioning ongoing research. Applicants will be informed of the result of their submissions as soon as possible.

Any question, please write to (skunz /at/ ucp.pt) <mailto:(skunz /at/ ucp.pt)>.