Archive for January 2024

[Commlist] New book Fighting for the Soul of General Practice: The Algorithm Will See You Now

Wed Jan 24 15:46:15 GMT 2024

Intellect is pleased to share that /Fighting for the Soul of General Practice: The Algorithm Will See You Now <https://www.intellectbooks.com/fighting-for-the-soul-of-general-practice>/, by Rupal Shah and Jens Foell, is out in paperback.

/'This book is not about nostalgia, and we are not suggesting a return to a ‘better’ time. It is not that as practising GPs, Jens and I object to being embedded within and accountable to the systems we are part of. But we do want to consider how, and with what, the gap left by the archetypal GP has been filled.'/

In /Fighting for the Soul of General Practice/, Rupal Shah and Jens Foell, two practising GPs describe the reality of working within a failing and highly bureaucratic system. Drawing on years of experience treating a wide range of patients from all backgrounds, they show what is lost when regulation overrules relationships, standard practice eliminates discretion, and algorithms displace personal attention. While acknowledging that bureaucracy is inevitable and important, they argue for an approach to medicine that is about creating meaning for doctor and patient and that privileges connection, attention, and care within each encounter.

Part of Intellect's Global Health Humanities <https://www.intellectbooks.com/global-health-humanities-series> series.

*_Table of Contents
_*
*List of Figures
Acknowledgements
Prologue*

*Introduction: *Standardising General Practice

*1.* Weaponized Bureaucracy: Bureaucracy as a Source of Injustice
*2.* Pigeonholes: Medical Categories
*3.* Guidelines, Tramlines, Mindlines: Interpreting the Evidence
*4. *Waiting to Connect: Algorithms That Dictate Access
*5.* Taking Liberties: Regulating the Mental Health Act
*6. *Passports for Passing: The Bureaucracy of Death
*7.* A Labour of Love: Why It Is That General Practice Is Still a Good Place to Work
*8. *Final Reflection – Image Reviewing

*Conclusion
Bibliography

Please visit our website for more information:
www.intellectbooks.com/fighting-for-the-soul-of-general-practice
<http://www.intellectbooks.com/fighting-for-the-soul-of-general-practice>