Archive for January 2024

[Commlist] The Children' Media Yearbook 2024 - Call for Contributions

Tue Jan 23 22:59:57 GMT 2024

The Children's Media Yearbook <https://www.thechildrensmediafoundation.org/the-childrens-media-yearbook-2023>wantsto hear your submission ideas for this year’s edition!

First launched in 2013, the Yearbook <https://www.thechildrensmediafoundation.org/the-childrens-media-yearbook-2023>is the annual ‘book of record’ for key issues and developments across children and young people’s media. It is widely read by those that make media for children and those whose research intersects with children’s media, as well as regulators and policy makers for children and young people. And as such, it is a great channel for ‘impact’; with a print copy distributed to all attendees at the annual Children’s Media Conference <https://www.thechildrensmediaconference.com/>.

We are looking for contributors to work up short pieces (<1500 words) that are accessible to a broad readership, and we are open to submission ideas that face any aspect of children’s and young people’s media:

  * What interesting/important research (your own or others?) should we
    be sharing in the Yearbook ?
  * What trends or hot topics are live in the part of the children’s
    media landscape you research or practice within ?
  * Are there examples of interesting/important practice that we should
    be sharing ?
  * What are the key policy/regulatory issues that need addressing ?
  * What should we absolutely be talking about within the children's
    media community ?

As well as being keen to share research and debate on children’s media (in all its flavours), we are also looking for contributors who might help tell (part of?) the story of the following, as they reach significant milestones:

  * /Play School/(1964) - TV
  * /Mary Poppins/(1964) - Film
  * /Bagpuss/(1974) - TV
  * /The Worst Witch /(1974-) - Books////
  * /Thomas & Friends /TV (1984-) - Adaptation
  * /Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure/(1984) - Film
  * /The Lion King/(1994) - Film

We would also welcome pieces on the following:

  * Ragdoll Productions (- with the producers of /Teletubbies/, /Rosie
    and Jim/, etc. being founded in 1984)
  * The early and heydays of Children’s Satellite TV in the UK (- with
    /The Children’s Channel/ TCC first launching in 1984)
  * Saturday Morning TV (- with the /Wide Awake Club/ first launching in
    1984 & /Ministry of Mayhem/ in 2004)
We are also very open to suggestions for pieces related to a significant children’s media milestone of your choice…

If you are interested in contributing to the Yearbook, please contact Hannie, Laura and Ashley at (editor /at/ thechildrensmediafoundation.org) <mailto:(editor /at/ thechildrensmediafoundation.org)>. And if you have an idea that you are not quite sure fits the bill, we would be very happy to discuss it with you.

Proposal/idea submission deadline: 16th February 2024

Article submission deadline:              19th April 2024

Wordcount: Approx. 1000-1500 (but there is some flexibility here)