Archive for January 2024

[Commlist] Design and Fan Studies Symposium - cfp

Mon Jan 15 14:19:35 GMT 2024

We would like to invite you to an event taking place at Lancaster University, UK, on 1st March 2024 hosted by our Fan Studies Lancaster research network, in association with the Festival of Futures at Imagination Lancaster, the design and architecture research lab.

Fan studies and design are both relatively young disciplines, and ones which are familiar with interdisciplinarity, and with co-production and participation. Many fans take part in activities which might be considered design; from production of creative outputs such as fanvids and fanart, to community-led projects for activism, and creating platforms such as Archive of Our Own.

The purpose of this symposium is to bring together fan studies scholars and design researchers to discuss where new exciting research may emerge at the intersection of these two areas. We invite those who work in fan studies, and those who work in design research, or those who are already working between these areas. This joint expertise is not required, only a curiosity about one or both areas.

This event will be a free-to-attend one-day symposium, with discussion panels in the morning and a zine-making workshop in the afternoon where we invite participants to share and co-create research ideas, and present them in the form of zines. Lunch and refreshments will be provided.

Please find more information and a form for expressions of interest here - https://forms.office.com/e/TP00d21ixf <https://forms.office.com/e/TP00d21ixf>

Information on the Festival of Futures is available here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/fof2024/ <https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/fof2024/>

Information on Fan Studies Lancaster is available here: https://wp.lancs.ac.uk/fanstudies/ <https://wp.lancs.ac.uk/fanstudies/>