Archive for January 2024

[Commlist] EAST/4S 2024 - Open Panel Call: Beyond "The Controversy" in STS

Wed Jan 10 22:43:52 GMT 2024

Now accepting papers for an open panel on teaching STS and Critical Science at EAST/4S 2024 in July in Amsterdam:

Beyond "The Controversy": Making and doing within and beyond for positive transformations Critical Science and Technology Studies teaching has taught "The Controversy" as a method for learning about the truths and myths around science and technology in our world. This panel seeks to go beyond the controversy model and bring forth papers that discuss the radical, foundational, and productive modes of STS teaching. How do you engage, for instance, processual-relational technologies? How do you make your classroom constructivist or pragmatist? How do you move into producing and doing in the classroom in a manner consistent with the stories that STS tells? How do you incorporate alternative narratives, fictums, or life-worlds into your classrooms? How do we challenge the traditional classroom models through STS? How do we challenge the bureaucratic constructs surrounding that classroom and its developments?

We propose a combined panel, uniting papers and discussion into a productive dialogue. We seek papers and presentations from those who wish to speak STS to the power of the university/college classroom in the name of constructive and positive change. We hope to have a panel or two of papers and then a fishbowl discussion including those presenters and the audience, discussing and challenging the STS classroom as the locus of positive transformations spoken of in the CFP.

submit here: https://nomadit.co.uk/conference/easst-4s2024/panel/14256 <https://nomadit.co.uk/conference/easst-4s2024/panel/14256> (you may have to login or create an acct. in the upper right corner)