Archive for January 2024

[Commlist] New book: Imagining the Method: Reception, Identity, and American Screen Performance

Mon Jan 08 20:15:09 GMT 2024

Justin Rawlins is happy to announce the publication of my book /Imagining the Method: Reception, Identity, and American Screen Performance <https://utpress.utexas.edu/9781477328507/imagining-the-method/>/ with University of Texas Press.

Using a reception-based approach that combines discourse analysis and textual analysis with cultural history, /Imagining the Method/ explores the interpretive landscape of US popular culture to show how it has yielded a discursive construction of Method acting and actors—what I call “methodness”—that diverged from historical Method philosophies and practices long ago and has in fact eclipsed them in American popular culture. I investigate how prevailing understandings of the so-called Method created an exclusive brand for white, male actors while simultaneously associating such actors with rebellion and marginalization. Drawing on extensive archival research from more than a dozen repositories, this book offers a revisionist history of the Method that shines a light on the cultural politics of methodness and the still-dominant assumptions about race, gender, and screen actors and acting that inform how we talk about performance and performers. I have included several reviews of the book below, as well as a link to the introduction UTP has generously made available for free.

You can get 40% off /Imagining the Method /now with code UTXGIFTS.