[Commlist] CFP Journal ‘Mediaciones’: Communication and Social Change

Sun Dec 17 22:04:24 GMT 2023

CFP Journal ‘Mediaciones’, Issue 33.

Issue theme: Communication and Social Change

Deadline for submissions; 1 February 2024. We welcome articles in English, Spanish and Portuguese.

Issue editors: Amparo Cadavid (UNIMINUTO, Colombia), Cicilia Krohling Peruzzo (Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro and Universidade Federal da Bahia, Brazil) and Thomas Tufte (Loughborough University London, England).

The journal ‘Mediaciones’, published by School of Communication Sciences of the University Corporation Minuto de Dios Uniminuto, invites communication professionals, researchers, thinkers, managers, community leaders and others linked to public, private, multilateral or community organizations, to submit their contributions for review.  We welcome a) research results, b) reflection articles or results of consultancies, c) case studies, d) systematizations of experiences, and e) reviews. Being global in scope and reach, we invite contributions from all regions of the world.

Issue focus: Today’s field of communication for social change is at a crossroads. Three features are significant in that regard: Firstly, a range of new approaches are emerging, fundamentally differing from the early approaches that focused on growth and modernization. Today’s proposals are inclusive of the diversity in production of knowledge, resulting not only in a critique of the dominant paradigm, but especially in a growing recognition of other epistemologies. This is widely influencing the field and is seen, for example, in indigenous knowledge systems gaining greater visibility; it is also seen in the theoretical advances linking decolonial thought to the field of communication; and we see it in the growing South-South dialogues around communication for social change and the broadening of citizenships. These are processes that lead to fascinating debates and reflections on transnational connections.

Secondly, we live in a time of great challenges in capitalist development, where the social cost of systemic injustices is increasingly evident and disturbing, and where challenges to subsistence are posed by climate change, wars, exclusions, mass migrations and technological advances. The role of communication in addressing these systemic, societal and sectorial challenges is complex and requires in-depth analysis.

Thirdly, the actors involved in communication for social change are increasingly diverse. Civil organizations and social movements in all their variety which engage with communication for social change, have become visible and gained momentum in the constitution of civilizational changes at the global level. Analysing the breadth and impact of these civil society actors is key to understanding the role of this field in practice.

Deadline for full article submission: February 1, 2024

Additional information about submission: https://revistas.uniminuto.edu/index.php/med/announcement <https://revistas.uniminuto.edu/index.php/med/announcement>

(mediaciones /at/ uniminuto.edu) <mailto:(mediaciones /at/ uniminuto.edu)>

Kindly note that no payment from the authors will be required.