[Commlist] New book: Digital Platforms and the Press

Sun Nov 12 13:13:06 GMT 2023

Intellect is pleased to share that /Digital Platforms and the Press <https://www.intellectbooks.com/digital-platforms-and-the-press>/, by James Meese, is out in paperback and hardback!

Platform dependence is a concept that is used to describe what happens when businesses or an entire sector become reliant on one or more digital platforms for their survival. /Digital Platforms and the Press/ argues that we face a major risk of a platform-dependent press—a development that threatens liberal democracies across the world. As James Meese shows, the situation is occurring across the news industry, to the extent that it is difficult to imagine the production, distribution, and long-term survival of news in liberal democracies without the involvement of platforms. As governments, regulators, and citizens become increasingly concerned about platform power, /Digital Platforms and the Press/ is the first book to highlight the long-term economic and social consequences of platform dependence for the news sector.

This title is also available in *Open Access*.

*_Table of Contents
_*
*List of Figures and Table
Acknowledgements
Introduction*

*1. *When News Went Social
*2.* After the Algorithm
*3.* Digital Advertising and Democratic Harms
*4.* The True Cost of News
*5.* Platforms as Patrons
*6.* Solutions for a Dependent Press

*Conclusion