[Commlist] Call for Participants: 4th ECREA Journalism Studies PhD Colloquium

Wed Nov 08 15:00:23 GMT 2023

The ECREA Journalism Studies Section and the Young Scholars Network (YECREA) invite applications for the 4^th Journalism Studies PhD Colloquium, which will take place on *10 April 2024* at the *University of Sheffield*.

The PhD Colloquium aims to connect up-and-coming journalism researchers and experienced colleagues in the field, and to provide mentorship to doctoral students. It is an opportunity for PhD researchers in Journalism Studies to present their projects, receive in-depth feedback on their work from established scholars, and network with senior scholars and peers in a friendly and supportive environment. Students will be paired with an experienced scholar, who will read a substantive piece of their work (a chapter or paper of 5,000-8,000 words) and give them feedback on the day of the colloquium.

We welcome all theoretical and empirical PhD projects focusing on journalism research. We also strongly support submissions from PhD students at the start or middle of their projects as they benefit from feedback the most (although doctoral students at any stage of their PhD journey are welcome to apply).

*Submission guidelines*

Interested**PhD students should submit the following:

  * *An abstract of 500 words* outlining the 1) topic, 2) rationale, 3)
    theoretical approach, and 4) empirical application (if applicable).
  * A separate document with the name, affiliation, expected graduation
    date, and supervisor.
  * A ranked list of five potential respondents (please try to choose
    scholars likely to attend a section conference in the European
    context).
Please send your submissions via email to Bissie Anderson ((b.anderson4 /at/ rgu.ac.uk) <mailto:(b.anderson4 /at/ rgu.ac.uk)>) no later than*10 December 2023.*Submissions will be reviewed in a double-blind review process.

Notifications of acceptance will be issuedby*10 January 2024*.

We expect participants whose abstracts are accepted to submit a full paper (5,000-8,000 words) by*10 March 2024*. Full papers are mandatory for participation as they will be sent to selected respondents. More information on the submission requirements will be sent to accepted participants via email.

**PLEASE NOTE*: The PhD colloquium will take place in-person only and we are unable to accommodate requests for virtual participation. *

      Timeline

  * Sunday 10 December 2023 at 23:00 - deadline for submissions
  * Acceptances announced by 10 January 2024
  * Full papers submitted by 10 March