[Commlist] CFP: Sports Media Identity Network Event #4 - Best practice for framing identities and diversity in sport media

Wed Nov 08 14:51:10 GMT 2023

*Sports Media Identity Network: *

*Best practice for framing identities and diversity in sports media***

Northumbria University, London

19^th  January 2024

*Call for submissions *

*Keynote **speaker: *

/To be announced /

/
/

*Keynote panel:*

/To be announced///

/
/

Over the last year, the Sports Media Identity Network has been working with a range of academics and sports media professionals to identify best practice and recommendations for sports media practitioners, researchers and stakeholders. At this event, which will be held at *Northumbria University, London on January 19, 2024,* we will be sharing those findings and the resulting recommendations as outlined in our draft report.

Launched in May 2022, the central aim of the Sports Media Identity Network is a platform for the knowledge exchange between scholars (from a range of disciplines) who are united by a focus on sports media, and industry stakeholders and practitioners. As such, we welcome expressions of interest from academics, postgraduates, students, practitioners, and policy makers.

We also welcome presentations which interrogate the role that the sports media, in particular sports journalism, plays in the framing of identity in sport. The event has a broad focus, we particularly welcome abstracts concerning themes of diversity, representation, collaboration and pedagogy*.*

Our first three events have explored the representation of LGBT+ athletes and issues in sports media, the framing of race in sport and the framing of para-athletes and dis/ability in sport.

*Submissions: *We welcome 15-minute papers, multi-media or documentary presentations on topics including, but not limited to:

  * Inclusive and exclusive framing of minority sportsmen and women
  * Building diversity and inclusion into journalism training
  * Diversity in sports journalism and related media industries
  * Policy (and/or other) recommendations for tackling discrimination in
    sports media
  * Pathways to sharing research with media practitioners
  * Pathways to inter-disciplinary collaboration
Submissions are due by *Friday, 4 December 2023* and should:

 1. Be sent in the form of a Microsoft Word document (.doc, .docx)
 2. Not exceed 300 words
 3. Include the title of the paper
 4. Include the author’s full name, title, position and institution
 5. Include a brief professional biography (not exceeding 50 words)
Submissions should be sent to: (_SportMediaIdentity /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(SportMediaIdentity /at/ gmail.com)>_ with the subject header: /“Abstract: Sports Media Identity Network Event 4" /

It is intended that the event will lead to a journal special edition.

The event is *FREE*, but places are limited. You can register *_here <https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/best-practice-for-framing-identities-and-diversity-in-sport-media-tickets-728157076417?aff=oddtdtcreator>_*. For more information about the event, and the network, please _visit our website <https://hosting.northumbria.ac.uk/sminetwork/>_.

A small number of travel and accommodation bursaries are available for Early Career Researchers. Details on request.

*Key dates: *

/November 2023:/ Call for papers open

/4 December 2023:/ Deadline for the submission of abstracts

/11 December 2023:/ Notification of acceptance

/5 January 2024:/ Registration Deadline

/19 January 2024:/ SMIN Conference #4

*Venue:*110-114 Middlesex St, London E1 7HT. Click _here <https://london.northumbria.ac.uk/campus/>_for information about travelling to the venue.

Accommodation: Travelodge London City <https://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/639/London-City-hotel?sb=0> which is about a two-minute walk down the road. The Premier Inn London City (Aldgate) <https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/greater-london/london/london-city-aldgate.html> and London City (Tower Hill) <https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/greater-london/london/london-city-tower-hill.html> are both approximately a 10-minute walk away, as is the Motel One London-Tower Hill <https://www.motel-one.com/en/hotels/london/hotel-london-tower-hill/>.

*Convenor: *Dr Roger Domeneghetti, Assistant Professor, Northumbria University