[Commlist] Department of Communication, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill PhD program

Mon Nov 06 21:54:50 GMT 2023

GRADUATE PROGRAMS: Department of Communication, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

The Department of Communication at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is pleased to invite applications for our PhD program. The application deadline for Fall 2024 admission is *December 12th, 2023*.

Our program embraces interdisciplinary approaches to communication, merging insights and training from multiple perspectives: media and technology studies, media production, cultural studies, performance studies, interpersonal and organizational communication, and rhetorical studies. We draw upon multiple methodological perspectives, including ethnography, documentary filmmaking, discourse and rhetorical analysis, and embodied and creative praxis. The Ph.D. at UNC is an inquiry-based degree, offering students the opportunity to build unique programs of study around their respective research interests. Please visit our webpage to learn more: https://comm.unc.edu/graduate-studies/ <https://comm.unc.edu/graduate-studies/>.

Join a community of approximately 50 doctoral students specializing in critical, socio-cultural, and aesthetic approaches to communication. Work with award-winning and internationally recognized faculty on topics ranging from online extremism, surveillance, data justice, platform studies, and consumer culture to Black Diaspora and coloniality, critical food and labor studies, environmental advocacy, and organizational ethics. Students collaborate on faculty research projects, join vibrant research teams, and frequently co-author with faculty members. Students also participate in community engaged scholarship and in work intended to reshape public policy. Students also learn how to teach a variety of communication-related courses across our different areas and gain meaningful hands-on experience instructing both lower and upper-level classes.