[Commlist] CfP Nostalgia Symposium 2024

Mon Oct 30 22:41:56 GMT 2023

CfP Time in a Bottle: Containers and Criticisms of Nostalgia Symposium 2024

*About*
The NOSTAGAIN Network, a research collective focused on interdisciplinary approaches to nostalgia, is launching its second symposium on the 2nd February, 2024 at Concordia University, Montreal.

*Symposium Theme*.
As we emerge from a global period of great loss, sacrifice, and patience into a “new normal” fraught with conflict, ecological crisis, and rapid sociotechnical change…digital nostalgia has taken a turn towards encapsulation.

Specifically, how does the cultural significance of 1) NOSTALGIC OBJECTS and thus the 2) OBJECTS WE USE TO BE NOSTALGIC of other things influence the digital nostalgia we engage in? These containers of time are comparable to bottles full of ideological messages which recall a rose-tinted past, a somber future, a present tinged with grief.

On social media, custom-made pop-culture dioramas are sold out to buyers eager to preserve the set of their favorite childhood video game or TV show. Meanwhile, costs of supporting digital cloud storage to hoard our pasts mount while we risk forgetting it anyway. Large language models “speak” from the frozen moments of their training data, stuck between the past and the next update. Those who itch for clairvoyance seek their own remembrance as cold comfort: in 2019, over 25,000 Koreans engaged in therapeutic “living funerals,” donning burial shrouds, posing for their own memorial portraits, and lying inside real coffins as the living chant prayers for the “dead”.

- If these items could talk, what “message in a bottle” do they have for us?
- What are the social, ecological, and cultural impacts left in the present by our pursuit of the nostalgic past or future?
- How far will we go to preview, pay, and pursue a time outside the present?

CfP webpage: https://nostagain.ca/cfp2024 <https://nostagain.ca/cfp2024>

*Who?*
We are inviting media, communication, and interdisciplinary scholars to submit a paper presentation or research-creation to our symposium. The symposium is also hybrid, so virtual presentations will be considered, but in-person is prioritized.

*Submission Guidelines*
- Presentation abstracts are limited to 300 words.
- Research-creation abstracts are 500 words, with an option to attach media.

The hard deadline for both is *5th January 2024*
- All submissions are reviewed on an ongoing basis

*Contact*
Contact: (projectlostagain /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(projectlostagain /at/ gmail.com)> to Derek Pasborg or Richy Srirachanikorn
Website: https://nostagain.ca/cfp2024 <https://nostagain.ca/cfp2024>