[Commlist] Funded PhD on Media and Cultural Studies at the University of Lancaster

Sat Oct 28 15:30:41 GMT 2023

*Study for an AHRC Funded PhD at the University of Lancaster*

*Call for Expressions of Interest and Applications in Media and Cultural
Studies *

*North West Consortium Doctoral Training Partnership Studentship
Competition for 2024-25 Entry*

We invite expressions of interest and applications, to the Media and
Cultural Studies Pathways, for +2/+3 full and part-time PhD studentships as
part of the AHRC’s North West Consortium Doctoral Training Partnership
studentship competition.

The studentship covers PhD fees, provides an annual stipend for the
duration of your study (currently set at £17,668 (or part-time pro
rata) and subject to review), and access to additional funding for field
research and further training.

 The University of Lancaster is a member of the North West Consortium
Doctoral Training Partnership (NWCDTP), which includes non-HE institutions
such as the BBC, Home/Cornerhouse, Tate Liverpool, Opera North,
FutureEverything, Science and Industry Musuem, and FACT (Liverpool).

*How to Apply:*

Prospective applicants who are interested in applying and eligible for
funding ­ should first make a PhD application to the Sociology Department:
Application Process here
<https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/sociology/phd/#d.en.398199>

Once accepted onto a PhD programme, you should work with your prospective
supervisor/s and the Department Media and Cultural Studies Pathway lead,
Professor Imogen Tyler, who can offer you guidance on the suitability of
your research project proposal and eventual application:

We would expect you to have a very good first degree in a related subject,
and a completed or current MA, or equivalent professional experience.
Applicants with a distinction on their MA (or equivalent) are normally
rated higher than others in the funding competition.

For further information including an application form and guidance notes,
please see the NWC DTP site:

http://www.nwcdtp.ac.uk/funding-prospective-students/

*Ring Fenced Studentships*

The NWCDTP is committed to equality of opportunity and working to ensure
our cohort of postgraduate researchers reflects the diverse community we
serve. We have introduced a range of positive measures to assist in
achieving these commitments, recognising in particular that postgraduate
researchers from Global Majority, Disabled, and Socioeconomically Unequal
communities are currently underrepresented on our programmes and across the
UK university sector. The introduction of these measures follows a review
of our recruitment processes and forms part of a three-year plan we have
developed to achieve greater diversity and better equality outcomes.

One of the steps we have taken as part of that plan was to introduce
ring-fenced studentships during a 2 year period (2021-2023). In 2022/3, we
guaranteed one candidate from Global Majority (including heritage)
communities a studentship. Applicants from these groups will, of course,
also be considered as part of our recruitment to all of the available
studentships. Students who consider themselves to be from socioeconomically
unequal backgrounds are able to apply for our Broken Pipeline scholarship.
Finally, as a means for addressing problematic disparity within the
discipline, we are offering one ring-fenced studentship to a Female (female
in this context meaning anyone identifying as a woman) Philosophy student.
These ring-fenced studentships, apart from the Broken Pipeline scholarship,
are open to International applicants.

Applicants wishing to apply for one of the ring-fenced studentships will
have the opportunity to identify themselves on the application form as
wishing to be considered for these targeted studentships. Their
applications will be considered as part of the standard award competition
and will be subject to the same assessment criteria and schedule (see how
to apply above).

*Applications workshops*

The NWC  will be running online application workshops via Zoom for those
who are interested in applying. Please find below dates, times and details
on how to join our workshops :

   - Friday *27 Oct 2023*, 10 – 11am (GMT): https://zoom.us/j/99387595337

   - Monday *8 Jan 2024*, 3 – 4pm (GMT): https://zoom.us/j/98057198832

*If you have any questions regarding the formal PhD application procedure,
please contact* *(pgsociologyqueries /at/ lancaster.ac.uk)*
<(pgsociologyqueries /at/ lancaster.ac.uk)>