[Commlist] CfP: Oceans, Seas and Shorelines in Film (under contract with Routledge)

Fri Oct 20 15:41:31 GMT 2023

We would like to invite humanities and social science scholars to contribute to our edited volume, ‘Oceans Seas and Shorelines in Film’, to be published in 2024/25 by Routledge in the Oceans Seas and Shorelines: a natural and cultural environmental history series.

Film is the most influential of all of the cultural media, combining powerful audio and visual formulas to recreate the world for the purpose of telling a story. It implicitly and explicitly conveys important aspects of real and imagined social change and exchange within a variety of environmental contexts, but the role of the environment and the impact of human agency on the environment has rarely been a focus of critical enquiry. This pioneering volume of essays seeks to contribute to our understanding of how the filmic medium has represented oceans, seas and shorelines, from the early twentieth century to the present, to shape perception of and behaviour towards these environments. We are open to a variety of approaches to the subject but wish to stress the relationship between the natural and cultural environments as a contribution to current environmental debate. By 15 December 2023, please submit an abstract of 400 words max and a brief bio to the editors Dr Hsin Hsieh ((h.hsieh2 /at/ reading.ac.uk)) and Prof Vivienne Westbrook ((viv.westbrook /at/ uwa.edu.au)). Full-length articles of 6000 to 8000 words will be due on 31 August 2024.
 Kind regards,
Hsin

Oceans, Seas and Shorelines in Film (under contract with Routledge)
deadline for submissions: (Extended) Dec 15, 2023
full name / name of organization: Hsin Hsieh, University of Reading, UK
Viv Westbrook, University of Western Australia, Australia