[Commlist] PhD position on Climate Advocacy Journalism at the University of Amsterdam

Wed Oct 18 20:45:17 GMT 2023

*PhD position on Climate Advocacy Journalism at the University of Amsterdam*

Are you interested in climate change communication research, and specifically in climate journalism? Do you have strong methodological skills and are you motivated to carry out rigorous research? Then we are looking for you!

We are looking for an ambitious PhD candidate for the project “Climate Advocacy Journalism: Conflating Facts with Values in Reporting about Climate Solutions”.

Climate journalists are committed to ‘objectivity’ in their reporting, but simultaneously they often deeply care about climate change. In this project, you will focus on a recent trend in climate journalism where journalists increasingly engage in ‘climate advocacy journalism’, where they advocate for a specific political agenda. This project will provide insight into how climate journalists redefine their role and understandings of objectivity, and how audiences perceive climate advocacy journalism.

You will employ both qualitative methods (interviews, focus group discussions) and quantitative methods (content analysis, experiments). Based on several studies, you will write a dissertation and strive to publish the results of individual sub-studies in important journals in the field of communication science.

The PhD Candidate is embedded in the Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR) <https://ascor.uva.nl/> and is part of the Corporate Communication Group <http://www.corpcomm.nl/>. Our research focus is on the dynamic interplay of organizations, (new) media, and the general public. We are an international and vibrant group who often get together for social activities. The PhD project is funded by a Starter Grant awarded to dr. Christel van Eck, who will be the daily supervisor of the PhD candidate.

The deadline for applications is *1 November 2023.*

You can find more information on the website:PhD position on Climate Advocacy Journalism (uva.nl) <https://vacatures.uva.nl/UvA/job/PhD-position-on-Climate-Advocacy-Journalism/779910802/>