[Commlist] Northern Lights 21 published(Special Issue: 'Transforming Genital in Culture and Media')

Wed Oct 18 20:35:38 GMT 2023

Intellect is pleased to announce that Northern Lights 21 is out now!

Special Issue: ‘Transforming Genitals in Culture and Media’

Transcending the essentialist gender ideas and binaries attributed to human bodies opens up space for new understandings of genitalia in movement, transformation and transition. The key question is: how do culture and media intersect/work through genital transformations? The papers featured here provide inspiring, innovative and research-stimulating responses to the complex presence and representation of genitalia through various media (online forums, novels, video art, performance art, television drama, reality television, mainstream news, feature film and vlogs). Each paper, as well as the entire thematic issue, represents a contribution to the further development of genital studies and strengthens the multidisciplinary questioning of genitalia, power, gender, differences, transgression and resistance.

For more information about the journal and issue click here>>

https://www.intellectbooks.com/northern-lights-film-media-studies-yearbook <https://www.intellectbooks.com/northern-lights-film-media-studies-yearbook>

Aims & Scope

Northern Lightsis a peer-reviewed international publication dedicated to studies of film and media. The yearbook is a meeting place for European and global perspectives on film and media. The editors stress the importance of interdisciplinary research and welcome contributions on both old and new media.

This title is indexed with Scopus.

Volume 21

Editorial <https://intellectdiscover.com/content/journals/10.1386/nl_00034_2>

MEREDITH JONES AND MARIJA GEIGER ZEMAN

Articles

Fulgora <https://intellectdiscover.com/content/journals/10.1386/nl_00035_1>

EO GILL

Censorship, cultural expectations and transformations: The role of genitalia in disabled lives <https://intellectdiscover.com/content/journals/10.1386/nl_00036_1>

CAVYN MITCHELL

Fitting the vulvas: Online discussion on labiaplasty <https://intellectdiscover.com/content/journals/10.1386/nl_00037_1>

BRIGITA MILOŠ

Preputial phantasies in Lisa Braver Moss’s The Measure of His Grief <https://intellectdiscover.com/content/journals/10.1386/nl_00038_1>

JONATHAN A. ALLAN

‘I’d castrate you and marry you in a heartbeat’: Queerness, quality and classics in Succession <https://intellectdiscover.com/content/journals/10.1386/nl_00039_1>

MELISSA BEATTIE

Cult of the vulva vs. cult of the phallus: A case study of media presentations of some famous genitals <https://intellectdiscover.com/content/journals/10.1386/nl_00040_1>

MIRELA HOLY AND NIKOLINA BORČIĆ

The phallocentrism of the media representation of gender dysphoria <https://intellectdiscover.com/content/journals/10.1386/nl_00041_1>

MICHAELA FIKEJZOVÁ AND MARTIN CHARVÁT

Performing vulvic spectacles: Looking twice, thinking anew <https://intellectdiscover.com/content/journals/10.1386/nl_00042_1>

ALEX LYONS

‘I’m so proud: I grew it myself, I watered it and fed it and now it’s just a full-grown dick’: Challenging normative ideals of the penis through trans male embodiment <https://intellectdiscover.com/content/journals/10.1386/nl_00043_1>

LUCA KARHU TAINIO