[Commlist] CFP: Future of Media in Asia book under Futures of Asia multidisciplinary book series

Thu Oct 05 21:13:40 GMT 2023

*Call for Chapter Proposals (abstracts): /Future of Media in Asia/ book*

After a series of global transformative events in recent years (the US-China trade war, the COVID-19 pandemic, the 5^th  industrial revolution, the Russia-Ukraine war/rise of Eurasia, and the rise of Artificial Intelligence/AI), the 2020s appear to be a critical turning point leading into a new phase of life. This shift has been reflected in new concepts such as /New Normal, Next Normal, Future of…/, etc, indicating the evolving landscape in various aspects of society. This leads to a growing interest across academic disciplines, exploring potential futures in multiple areas, e.g. future of work, future of education, etc. (e.g. Kumar, Sharma, Rao, Lim, & Mangla 2022; Lim 2023; Lim, Gunasekara, Pallant, Pallant, & Pechenkina 2023; Lim, Rasul, Kumar, & Ala 2022). The series is looking at multiple futures, as shown in the box below.

Following the success of the /COVID-19 in Malaysia/ multidisciplinary series (Lim, Kaur, & Cheong 2022; Louis, Kaur, & Cheong 2022; Pandian, Kaur, & Cheong 2022) covering various aspects during the COVID-19 critical period 2020 – 2021, we are proposing another new and timely multidisciplinary series, /Futures of Asia, /to the *same publisher, Routledge*(Taylor & Francis group). In the transformative year of 2023, we witness the profound impact of ChatGPT and other advanced AI technologies in various aspects. Similar to our previous series, the emphasis on situated knowledge remains central, as we endeavour to provide a platform for non-Western research and voices. We welcome different non-Western social and academic practices, though they may be non-hegemonic in academia. We hope to address the issues of marginalisation, especially towards the Global South. Nevertheless, we also welcome Western perspectives, voices, and research practices that contribute to the exploration of Asia's future trajectories.

Based on Ballandonne’s (2020) historical tracking of future studies, future studies are “considered to emerge as a research field” in the 1960s, being the post-World War II era that is perceived as a “turning point”. 60 years later, we witness a rise of prospective writings and analyses about different futures in different aspects during the transformative 2020s, commonly seen as the (post-)COVID-19 era, in which the COVID-19 pandemic is often compared to a world war. While future studies are usually future-oriented and forward-looking, Dator (2019:3) emphasises that future studies do not “predict” the /real future/, but rather study the ideas about the future: 1) forecast “/alternative futures/” and 2) “envision, invent, implement, continuously evaluate, revise, and re-envision” “/preferred futures”/. Dator noted that the Western images of the future may be different from the non-Western. A recent review by Fergnani (2019:104) discovered 6 main research clusters of future studies since 1968: “corporate foresight; past & futures; humanity at the limen; environmental futures; post-normality & complexity, and technological trends”.

We are inviting chapter proposals for7 books/futures <https://www.regionalstudies.org/opportunities/futures-of-asia-book-series/> in the series, in which one of them include *Future of Media in Asia. *

*Editor-in-Chief for 'Future of Media in Asia' book*

Associate Professor Danilo Araña Arao

College of Mass Communication, University of the Philippines (UP) Diliman, Philippines

Editor, /Media Asia (journal)/

We welcome researchers from any discipline, who are researching the related futures in Asia. We are particularly interested in future studies that address the concepts and (one or more of) the 6 research clusters above. The chapters can be conceptual, review, and empirical (qualitative/quantitative/mixed method) papers. We particularly welcome studies that encompass a wider range of Asian countries. Nevertheless, we also welcome other possibilities/ (that are not stated above)/ that may enrich future studies and also the book series, /Futures of Asia./

For those who are interested, kindly complete *this **online form* <https://forms.office.com/r/ALnZPbxKc6>*by October 15, 2023* (https://forms.office.com/r/ALnZPbxKc6 <https://forms.office.com/r/ALnZPbxKc6>) to fill in the particulars of the authors and the chapter. These include /_the author’s biography and a 200-250-word abstract._*No payment needed throughout the publication process. */

We are in discussion with *Routledge *and have received interest from them. After the selection process, we will be submitting a complete book proposal to them with abstracts of the prospective chapters.

The tentative timeline of the book project is as follows:

October 2023                     Chapter proposal/Abstract submission

November 2023                 Announcement of chapter proposal/abstract acceptance

Dec 2023 – Feb 2024        Chapter writing (3 months)

March 2024                        Manuscript submission to editors

April – May 2024                Peer reviews and revision

June - July 2024                 Book draft submission to the publisher

October 2024                     Estimated publication (if it’s short form publication; in 3 months)

January 2025                     Estimated publication (if it’s a bigger book size; in 6 months)

For further inquiries, kindly contact the series’ managing editor, Huey Fen Cheong ((hfcheong /at/ um.edu.my) <mailto:(hfcheong /at/ um.edu.my)>). We are also welcoming other potential futures to expand the series. For those who are interested, please contact the same person to propose another book (i.e. another future).

_Series Editors (also, book co-editors)___

Professor Dr. Lim Weng Marc ((lim /at/ wengmarc.com) <mailto:(lim /at/ wengmarc.com)>) – Dean & Professor, Sunway University, Malaysia

Dr. Huey Fen Cheong ((hfcheong /at/ um.edu.my) <mailto:(hfcheong /at/ um.edu.my)>) – Senior Lecturer, Universiti Malaya, Malaysia