[Commlist] CFP: Media Aesthetics

Fri Sep 22 18:26:37 GMT 2023

# Call for Papers - communication+1
## Volume 11 - "Media Aesthetics"

communication +1 is seeking proposals for Volume 11, "Media Aesthetics."
Co-edited by Hank Gerba and Zachary J. McDowell.

In our age of ubiquitous computation, “sense and the senses turn to eyewash.”(1) Or so proclaimed Friedrich Kittler, fearing that the operationalization of boolean logic, materialized and ever-miniaturized in the transistor, would sever the connection between media and the human senses. Digital communication between machines would pass seamlessly below the threshold of perception, which would only ever be rendered in the strictest computational sense. Must theories of media and communication abdicate the body as a locus of theoretical inquiry?

Despite the micro-temporality of computational media, this collection aims to reintroduce media of all kinds to the sensory by asking after the relationship between media and aesthetics. We understand aesthetics broadly, following M. Beatrice Fazi, who writes that “aesthetics is [here] understood in a manner that is more in keeping with its etymological roots––which lie in the term aisthesis––and it is thus conceptualized as a theory of sensory knowledge.”(2)With this definition, the collection hopes to provide a space in which the sensory can refocus critical and political questions of embodiment, mediation, and subjectivation.

This collection seeks engagement with and between the many existing species of media studies and communications. By focusing on the aesthetic, we also hope to expand the study of media and communication beyond their traditional institutional and methodological boundaries. We strongly encourage intersectional and interdisciplinary engagements with the aesthetic as it functions theoretically, methodologically, spatially, institutionally, historically, and in relation to the study of media and communication.

Please submit short proposals of no more than 500 words by December 1, 2023 to [(communicationplusone /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(communicationplusone /at/ gmail.com)>]. Upon invitation, full-text submissions will be due April 15, 2024, with expected publication in Fall 2024. The expected length of the full submission is between 6k and 10k words.

## About the Journal
Started in 2011, the aim of communication +1 is to promote new approaches and open new horizons in the study of communication from an interdisciplinary perspective. We are particularly committed to promoting research that seeks to constitute new areas of inquiry and to explore new frontiers of theoretical activities linking the study of communication to both established and emerging research programs in the humanities, social sciences, and arts. Other than the commitment to rigorous scholarship, communication +1 sets no specific agenda. Its primary objective is to create a space for thoughtful experiments and for communicating these experiments.

We are a DOAJ-listed Platinum Open Access Journal.
We require *no payment from the authors* (no APC) and never charge for access.
We are part of the Open Humanities Press.

The journal's website is https://scholarworks.umass.edu/cpo/ <https://scholarworks.umass.edu/cpo/>.

## Editors
Briankle G. Chang, University of Massachusetts Amherst <br>
Zachary J. McDowell, University of Illinois at Chicago

## Advisory Board

Sean Johnson Andrews, Columbia College Chicago

Lisa Åkervall, University of Gothenburg, Sweden

Nathalie Casemajor, University of Québec Outaouais

Jimena Canales, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign

Bernard Geoghegan, Kings College, London

Lawrence Grossberg, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill

David Gunkel, Northern Illinois University

Peter Krapp, University of California Irvine

Catherine Malabou, Kingston University, United Kingdom

Jussi Parikka, Aarhus University, Denmark

John Durham Peters, Yale University

Amit Pinchevski,The Hebrew University of Jerusalem

Florian Sprenger, Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany

Jonathan Sterne, McGill University

Ted Striphas, University of Colorado, Boulder

Christina Vagt, University of California Santa Barbara

Greg Wise, Arizona State University