[Commlist] cfp: The Aesthetics of Care Graduate Conference

Thu Sep 07 10:19:05 GMT 2023

*Call for Papers: ‘The Aesthetics of Care’ – Screen and Cultural Studies Graduate Conference*

Date: Thursday 7^th of December 2023.

Location: University of Melbourne.

Keynote Speaker: Dr. Matilda Mroz (University of Sydney).

Submission Deadline: 30^th of September 2023.

In recent times, there has been a bourgeoning interest across the Humanities in the notion of ‘care’ with researchers asking how we are to best care for ourselves, for others and for our communities. Inspired by influential texts on the subject by Michel Foucault (1986) and Virginia Held (2006), these questions have becoming increasingly pressing in the contemporary political landscape, with important publications addressing the role of care in Black (Warren 2016) and Trans communities (Malatino 2020), and others exploring the contemporary difficulties faced by care workers (Bunting 2020) and the relation between care and creativity (Groys 2022). Moreover, discourses around ‘the ethics of care’ have become increasing familiar topics to the worlds of Documentary Cinema and Ecocinema (as well as narrative cinema more broadly), a phenomenon which inspired /Film Comment /to hold a conference on the “Cinema of Care” at the 2023 Berlin International Film Festival (see the /Film Comment/ podcast Denis, Sun, and Hovorka 2023).

This conference will explore the question of care as it relates to aesthetic practices, experiences, and discourses. Following Jacques Rancière’s influential work on /aisthesis /(2013) ¾ which understands aesthetics as bound to ‘the sensible fabric of experience’ ¾ we ask presenters to reflect on what care ‘looks like’, ‘sounds like’ and ‘feels like’ in our contemporary screen and cultural worlds. We are also interested in care as it relates to olfactory and gustatory experience.

Possible topics include (but are not limited to):

·Care and film aesthetics

·Cultural practices of care

·Care and film programming

·Care, artistic practice and marginalised voices (including but not limited to Bla(c)k care, Trans care, care and women’s labour, care and (dis)ability)

·Care, curation, and exhibition spaces

·Care and durational aesthetics

In keeping with the conference theme, the event will adopt a different format to promote a sense of benevolence and connectedness among attendees. If there is anything we can do to make you feel comfortable, or if you have accessibility needs,please let us know in your response. We welcome submissions from Early Career Academics and Graduate Researchers of any level.

To participate as a speaker, please submit an abstract of200-300 words for a fifteen-minute paper, along with a short bio (100 words max), (toccribb.c /at/ unimelb.edu.au) <mailto:(ccribb.c /at/ unimelb.edu.au)>by *30th September 2023*.