[Commlist] CFP: A Canterbury Tale 1944 and 2024 - 80th anniversary conference

Fri Jul 14 23:09:55 GMT 2023

*‘Every Age is a Canterbury Pilgrimage’*

**

*Powell and Pressburger's*

*‘A Canterbury Tale*

*1944 and 2024’*

*Conference*

**

*14 - 15 JUNE 2024*

*Canterbury Christ Church University*

Canterbury Christ Church University is delighted to announce the Conference */‘Every Age is a Canterbury Pilgrimage’ /*to*//*celebrate the 80^th anniversary of Powell and Pressburger’s ‘A Canterbury Tale’. The conference will celebrate the breadth, significance, and relevance of Powell and Pressburger’s *‘A Canterbury Tale’ *with a two-day**conference planned for _14 and 15 June 2024_.

The conference will place the film as central to the concerns of the mid C20 and to issues and understandings central to our own times alongside its contribution to film history, its links with contemporary and past filmmaking and its influence on creative productions across the visual and other arts.

Topics for papers, visual presentations and film essays might include, but are not limited to:

*Pilgrimage, Myth, History*

William Blake suggested every age is a Canterbury pilgrimage, universal and spiritual odyssey, repetitions retellings and life as quest in film.

**

*The Neo-Romantic vision and its contemporary survival *

The romantic visionary landscape tradition meets European Modernism, mysticism, surrealism, hybridity, pan-romanticism, and otherness.

*War and War in Europe then and now *

Filmic and other responses to trauma, death, resistance, ideology, effort and sacrifice propaganda, control, defeats and victories, the function and subversion of film as propaganda in wartime.

*Landscape and Imagination*

The landscape as character, as power and presence and nature and the non-human as agency.

*Dream and Nightmare *

Film and lived experience as vision, reverie, arcadia, dystopia, escape, fantasy, allegory and nightmare.

*Shifting Identities Englishness, Gender, Class, Race*

Shifting identities, flux, transformation, emergence and permanent revolution in film.

*Displacement and Exile*

Strangers, foreigners, refugees, wanderers, the lost and the found in film.

**

*Archaeology and Film *

Archaeology, palimpsest and history as themes and metaphor in film.

*Production Studies*

Writing, collaboration, archival studies and authorship. Set design and the mechanisms of production: costume, editing, sound, image.

Here at CCCU we have run a successful film department since 1980 and have a long history of film events including screenings, exhibitions, and masterclass workshops. We have a small Michael Powell archive and have worked with the BFI in the past to, amongst other events, facilitate a major exhibition on */‘A Canterbury Tale’ /*in 2004. We have close contact with Thelma Schoonmaker-Powell (she is a fellow of our institution) and has presented editing masterclasses at the University. Our main film building is named after Michael Powell who was born just outside Canterbury.

**

**

*How to submit*

Abstracts/proposals of 300 words inclusive of an indicative bibliography and short biography should be submitted to (ACT /at/ canterbury.ac.uk) <mailto:(ACT /at/ canterbury.ac.uk)> by 31 October 2023.

Please note we cannot accept abstracts/proposals for the conference after this deadline.